Searchers with Burns

For any discussion specifically about Burns guitars

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Searchers with Burns

Postby cockroach » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:47 am

For Burns fans- early Searchers clip with Mike Pender using his Artist, and two later clips with them using all Burns guitars and bass..John McNally seems to be using a Marvin in one clip..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YRF9lmhJi4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwK1cw6 ... u&index=73

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9My9EwuHPU
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Re: Searchers with Burns

Postby dave robinson » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:21 pm

Yes The Searchers used their Burns guitars quite a lot. I first saw them at The Black Cat club owned by a very young Peter Stringfellow back in 1963, Mike Pender had the Burns Artist, John McNally the Hofner Club and Tony Jackson had the Hofner 500/1 bass (McCartney style)
They sounded great and had a very raw and earthy sound which I don't think they bettered by going onto the later 335 style guitars. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby JimN » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:59 pm

cockroach wrote:For Burns fans- early Searchers clip with Mike Pender using his Artist, and two later clips with them using all Burns guitars and bass..John McNally seems to be using a Marvin in one clip..

It was fairly common knowledge at the time that The Searchers (1964-on) had an endorsement deal with Burns.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby JimN » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:03 pm

dave robinson wrote:Yes The Searchers used their Burns guitars quite a lot. I first saw them at The Black Cat club owned by a very young Peter Stringfellow back in 1963, Mike Pender had the Burns Artist, John McNally the Hofner Club and Tony Jackson had the Hofner 500/1 bass (McCartney style)
They sounded great and had a very raw and earthy sound which I don't think they bettered by going onto the later 335 style guitars. :)

John McNally continued to play his black-sprayed Club 60 for a few years, occasionally going back to it from the Marvin and the (more-often used) sunburst Telecaster.

A few years ago, I had my ES175 (with flatwounds) with me at a local jam.

I got roped into doing some Beatles and other Mersey Beat songs - and with the bridge pickup engaged (which I hardly ever used on that guitar), the 175 aced the Mersey Beat sound. Perfect. You'd never have been able to get that sound with a Strat or Tele (or even a Les Paul) with 10-46...
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby anniv 63 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:30 pm

Yes the Searchers first two LPS Meet The Searchers and Sugar and Spice
really captured their early sound and very fine covers of fairly obscure
american chart hits and black r&b were the main content.
Think their drummer Chris Curtis at the time sourced much of this material
that suited them to a tee

Mike
anniv 63

Full Real Name: mj shiach

Postby cockroach » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:44 am

In finding those clips, I noticed that there is a huge amount of material by the Searchers on youtube, a lot of newer clips but a large number of audio of old '60's material- may be of interest for Searchers fans..

Either way, they were and still are a great group, IMHO..
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Return to Burns