The Burns Book

For any discussion specifically about Burns guitars

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

The Burns Book

Postby balston11 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:59 pm

book.JPG
(347.54 KiB) Downloaded 14494 times

Finally got a copy of Paul Day's book. It's in poor condition but it all there. Paid £30 for it at auction, which considering the few on Amazon are priced at over £600 I am pleased with. Just got to handle it carefully or maybe I could have it restored. Does anyone have any experience of this?
Bill
see my guitar website www.alston-family.co.uk
balston11

Full Real Name: William Alston

Re: The Burns Book

Postby JimN » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:53 pm

If the binding is so damaged as to make the book that frail, it could be a cloud with a silver lining, since it might mean that you feel comfortable dismantling the binding completely so that the entire book may be flat-scanned.

Just a thought...
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby balston11 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:06 pm

Know what you are saying and could be some great material to put on my web site or share but I wouldn't want to infringe Paul's copyright
Bill
balston11

Postby Iain Purdon » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:00 pm

Is posting a photo of the book on this site infringing his copyright?
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby balston11 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:43 pm

No that's giving him free advertising
Bill
balston11

Postby rogera » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:08 am

Just got back from the travel agents. Have booked a luxury world cruise on the strength of the price of this book! Have had a copy for many years, in fact I paid a visit to Paul some while back and was able to get him to sign the book for me.
He's a great guy, knows his stuff. Will send a few postcards whilst I'm on the cruise just to keep in touch !!
Best of all was telling the wife that those old guitar books that should, according to my good lady, have 'been binned' years ago were not such a load of old rubbish after all.. :)
rogera

Full Real Name: Roger Allcock

Postby dusty fretz » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:47 pm

Like any other publication, the contents of The Burns Book are indeed subject to copyright, but I'm afraid these days the casual attitude and cavalier ethics employed by most of those on the internet don't extend to even considering such niceties, let alone the legalities involved, which means permission for use is sadly very rarely sought.
dusty fretz

Postby balston11 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:08 pm

I have found a book restorer who says he can make it good for £30 I am going to see him in the next couple of days.
Bill
balston11

Postby balston11 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:53 pm

dusty fretz wrote:Like any other publication, the contents of The Burns Book are indeed subject to copyright, but I'm afraid these days the casual attitude and cavalier ethics employed by most of those on the internet don't extend to even considering such niceties, let alone the legalities involved, which means permission for use is sadly very rarely sought.

Indeed I hope you don't feel that posting a picture of the front is in anyway an infringement of your copyright. I should have the book back from the bookbinders soon all reglued and looking good. Eager to read it.
Bill
balston11

Postby RayL » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:24 am

Hmm . . . . Somewhere in the cellar I've got a mint copy of Paul's Burns Book, bought as a spare when it was first published and still in the original packaging.
Thinking . . . . . . thinking . . . . . .
Ray
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Next

Return to Burns