Baby Bison Bass

For any discussion specifically about Burns guitars

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Baby Bison Bass

Postby balston11 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:14 am

Got the email below via y web site can anyone help him?

I recently acquired a Baldwin/burns baby bison bass that has some electrical issues. Do you happen to have a copy of the schematic for this model? I have been googling all day and can't seem to find one anywhere online!
Bill
see my guitar website www.alston-family.co.uk
balston11

Full Real Name: William Alston

Re: Baby Bison Bass

Postby JimN » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:26 pm

If I recall, the circuitry of the Baby Bison Bass was, apart from the four-pole pickups, the same as that of the Baby Bison guitar (and, for that matter, the GB66, the Vibraslim or the Vibraslim Bass). They all had two-coil pickups with a control to vary between single and double-coil (marked "Density").

Any of those diagrams will be sufficient.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby cockroach » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:00 pm

IIRC, the Baby Bison guitar had what would today be called humbucking stacked coil single coil sized but dual coil pickups and the 'density' control was a rotary pot giving variable degree of coil tap, rather than a sudden discrete switch between single and double coil as with a more commonly used two pole switch.

I also seem to recall that the density control only operated on the neck pickup?
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby Bug » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:02 pm

Hi everyone, I'm the guy that contacted balston11. Thank you all for the replies. My research supports what cockroach said about the neck pickup being a stacked dual coil with a density pot that controls the volume of the second coil. In an older thread I saw a link to this: https://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/the- ... -split-mod which seems like a similar, though simpler, circuit. JimN mentioned a few other models that have the same pickup set and wiring, does anybody know where to find a schematic or wiring diagram for any of those models (Gb66, vibraslim bass, baby bison guitar)?
Bug

Postby cockroach » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:16 am

Bug wrote:Hi everyone, I'm the guy that contacted balston11. Thank you all for the replies. My research supports what cockroach said about the neck pickup being a stacked dual coil with a density pot that controls the volume of the second coil. In an older thread I saw a link to this: https://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/the- ... -split-mod which seems like a similar, though simpler, circuit. JimN mentioned a few other models that have the same pickup set and wiring, does anybody know where to find a schematic or wiring diagram for any of those models (Gb66, vibraslim bass, baby bison guitar)?

I couldn't find a Baby Bison schematic on line..I'd suggest you wire the bass neck pickup to the third pot( 'density' control) as per the Seymour Duncan Spin a Split wiring diagram- should have the same effect on the pickup's sound etc..
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Return to Burns