Clean the gold

For any discussion specifically about Burns guitars

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Clean the gold

Postby Traffo » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:52 pm

The gold finish on my Apache is getting dull and needs a clean.
I don't want to use anything that is even midly abrasive so I ask what have other people used?

Regards

Tony
Traffo

Re: Clean the gold

Postby Iain Purdon » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:28 am

Let me start by stressing that I don’t know and that you’d be best contacting Burns and asking Barry Gibson for advice.

If it it were me, though, I might try a soft cloth with a tiny bit of warm soapy water. If no good I might move on to a little WD40 or white spirit. But it depends what the gold finish is really made of. Real gold doesn’t tarnish so it is probably an alloy, which may have different chemical properties. Or the hardware could be something like nickel with a very thin gold plating. If that starts to wear off, the nickel (or whatever) will begin to show through and the only solution would be to replate it.

I am talking off the top of my head based on dimly remembered school science. But maybe I’ll have written something sufficiently outrageous to trigger a correction from someone who knows better!
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby JimN » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:04 am

JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Traffo » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:01 pm

Thanks for the replies.
Before reading them I tried using WD40 on a cotton bud for the fiddly bits and tissue for the larger bits then drying the cleaned parts using bud or tissue.
It shine re-appeared as if by magic with no hard rubbing.

Regards
Traffo

Return to Burns