marvin guitar

For any discussion specifically about Burns guitars

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

marvin guitar

Postby ivorrob » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:33 pm

I foolishly sold my Burns Marvin in 1994, date on the neck and inside the body was may 24 1964,
the serial number was 6662, this dont seem to mach with the burns site, do anybody have any info
on the numbering? I was told this was a very rare model.
ivorrob

Re: marvin guitar

Postby bor64 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:22 am

Welcome to the site Edward,
No worries, 60's Burns serial numbering was most of the time all over the place.
The dates inside the guitars, on the back of the pick-guard was simply the date the pu's etc was mounted on the plate.
Someone into the know told me, they made one model for a week so they could finish that batch and the next week a other model.
Of course if there was enough demand for that model....
Most of the time the manufacturing of the electronics was ahead in numbers, so it's not rare to find a plate with a later date with a lowers serial number guitar and a "earlier" plate on a guitar with a higher serial number.
My 65 Marvin and the next Marvin in know both made apparently in the same week...have 4 guitars in between, but the dates beneath the plates are six weeks apart!
The Marvin the most wanted and sought after model, but not rare.
315 or 350 are circling around the world for years, but Paul Day told on us on this site, Bull***t he have list with numbers of parts production way higher.
Burns made between 12-14 thousand instruments before the changeover to Baldwin...so just 300 to 350 Marvin guitars are very low for a best seller.

Cheers Rob
"afterwards everyone is clairvoyant"
bor64

Full Real Name: Rob Aartsen

Return to Burns