Burns setup details?

For anything specifically about Burns guitars

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Burns setup details?

Postby neil2726 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:12 am

My White Marvin has the V trem plate while my green one is captive.
neil2726

Full Real Name: Neil Sutton

Postby David Martin » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:42 pm

Thanks for your replies so far...

I've been asked in a pm to give some thought to adjusting pickup height on the Burns... so this is what I replied...

This very much a personal preference thing...

Suggest you adjust the bridge pickup first... closer to strings will give more output and raunch at the risk of "wolf" (false) notes up around the twelfth fret particularly on the bass side... lower settings are sweeter...

Adjust the bridge pickup for the sound you want on the top strings, then adjust the bass side to giive the same volume (usually bass side is lower)...

Now adjust the middle pickup to give the same volume on the treble strings as the bridge pickup... then balance the bass side....

And do the same on the neck pickup...

You will find that, moving toward the neck, each pickup is successively lower...
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby Martyn » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:45 pm

Further to the problem I was having with the trem arm base unit rubbing against the wooden surround, here's a quick shot showing how tight the gap is. I gather from talking to a colleague who also has a Burns, his gap is much wider, so is mine a tad unusual?
Please ignore the dusty areas that the direct sunlighting (and digital camera) seems to have over emphasised!The same sunlight's also made the green extremely punchy when in reality it's much more subtle, as per my avatar.

Regards,
Martyn
Martyn

Full Real Name: Martyn Welch

Postby David Martin » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:37 am

That is very tight. Is the circular clamp tight up against the base plate? If so, and if all else fails, you could disassemble the unit and very gently relieve that area of the rout using abrasive paper glued to a ruler to keep it flat. Go steady...one mm is all that's needed really. (Just checked mine out, and after 6 years' use it's moved one mm in the opposite direction!)
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Previous

Return to Burns