Barry Gibson Retires ? What happens to Burns ?

For anything specifically about Burns guitars

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Barry Gibson Retires ? What happens to Burns ?

Postby bor64 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:08 pm

Although the name seems to be saved like David mentioned.
Is there still be a large enough sales market for 60's Burns reissues?
Most of us are well set already regarding Burns and Baldwin in the past 50 years I guess.
So to make some good money they have to attract the new younger peeps...
Al lot of lower level priced guitars are already available in (fantasy) brands for the starters.
But who knows, the two retailer firms will start a house brand called Burns...made in the far east.
I can't see, they will bring back Burns in a price range 500+ because Anderton has their Chapman brand, and they are in surge for a CS production location.
Please don't get me wrong I love all my 8 Burns and 1 Baldwin and I would love to see Burns going for a other 50 years.
Just my 2p

Cheers Rob
"afterwards everyone is clairvoyant"
bor64

Full Real Name: Rob Aartsen

Postby Teflon » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:44 pm

I understand where you're coming from, and my initial thoughts were that the guitars we know and love will likely disappear, to be replaced with low cost instruments from the Far East, made from generic components. However, having given it a bit more thought, it occurs to me that they could do all that without the cost of purchasing the Burns brand. Andertons, Guitar Guitar etc could just as easily use their own name to branch out into manufacturing.

The Burns brand has a certain reputation and cachet, and if they were to cheapen the brand, they would surely be devaluing their own investment. Additionally, during a discussion on this subject over on Facebook, one of the UK luthiers who has previously built guitars for Burns London, advised posters to "watch this space very carefully over he next couple of weeks".

I may be being overly optimistic, but I'm beginning to think (hope!) that we may see an increase in premium UK built or assembled instruments, perhaps underpinned by a faster moving budget line. Not too dissimilar to the model successfully operated by BG for all these years, but with the addition of a much wider shop window.

Mind you, I could be completely wrong with all of this, it's just conjecture after all. One thing though is certain: it's interesting times for the Burns London brand and there's a good few of us here who will no doubt be following developments with a keen eye. I do hope they do Barry Gibson proud and take care of the brand - here's hoping :)

Cliff
Teflon

Full Real Name: Cliff Bradley

Postby Iain Purdon » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:09 am

Meanwhile I’d like to thank Barry for his massive contribution to our endeavours and for his unfailing willingness to help with even the smallest of things.
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby Teflon » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:00 am

Iain Purdon wrote:Meanwhile I’d like to thank Barry for his massive contribution to our endeavours and for his unfailing willingness to help with even the smallest of things.

Absolutely!! I've dealt with Barry direct a few times, as I suspect a number of members have. He always went above and beyond and it was a real pleasure dealing with him. Last time, I purchased a new case and he kindly allowed me into his home to collect it to save on delivery. In the end I took up most of his afternoon discussing all things Shadows related and he topped it off by giving me a discount :D .

A genuinely nice guy, and I wish him all the best for the future.
Teflon

Postby bor64 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:15 pm

For me personally Barry was always a diamond geezer...
I've had my share of phone-calls and meetings with Barry since '92.
His advice,service and aftersales were top-notch!
Happy retirement Barry!

I'm seriously hopping, Burns will go on like the past decades.
Honouring the past and discovering new designs in the future.

Cheers Rob
thumbnail_image (351 x 254).jpg
thumbnail_image (351 x 254).jpg (40.37 KiB) Viewed 12197 times
bor64

Postby RayL » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:54 am

Retirement from guitar making, yes, but from music?

Nobody so far has mentioned Barry's contributions as the leader and organiser of the Local Heroes. Wonderful reconstructions of the Shadows' repertoire (on Burns guitars, of course!) both live and on CD. I've had the pleasure of video recording the Heroes on many occasions, including a couple of Pipeline Conventions. The most recent occasion was in 2014 when Barry brought an all-star Heroes* to the Surrey Shadows Club. Afterwards, Barry came to my studio during post-production to check the stereo mix from the multitrack. He was satisfied.

Perhaps retirement from guitar making will give Barry a chance to bring back the Local Heroes?

* The Local Heroes on November 24th 2014
Barry Gibson Lead and Rhythm Guitar
Daniel Martin Rhythm and Lead Guitar and Vocals
Alan Jones Bass Guitar
Cliff Hall Keyboards
Clem Cattini Drums
with
Brian 'Licorice' Locking Bass Guitar and Harmonica
and
Special Guest Bruce Welch Rhythm Guitar on FBI
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Postby Teflon » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:01 am

I can't see him retiring from playing somehow - he's still a regular sight at The Surrey Shadows club (or at least he was before lockdown happened). Tail end of last year they put on a special show with his band "Rhythm "n" Greens", with Cliff Hall on keyboards. An amazing night, and hopefully one that will be repeated more often now he has more time available.

Cliff
Teflon

Postby Billyboygretsch » Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:28 pm

I thought Barry was playing less because of worsening arthritis . Be nice to see him still involved though.
Billyboygretsch

Full Real Name: Bill Lovegrove

Postby bor64 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:33 pm

I didn't mention The Local Heroes or any playing at all, because the thread is about Burns changing hands and Barrie's retirement....so kinda work-related.
His private and hobby time was not in my cross-hairs.

Cheers Rob
bor64

Postby Teflon » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:45 pm

Interesting article over on Guitar world regarding the way forward for Burns London. All sounds promising. Thanks to Steve Reynolds who found the article and popped the link up on Facebook. https://www.guitarworld.com/news/legendary-british-guitar-maker-burns-is-back?utm_content=buffer19b85&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer_gfb&fbclid=IwAR1xka-MA1HmJU5A4vA-ypfTGYwiAVN8q9KrFZ6A0duUY1MvoRLlIRkzMuk

Cliff
Teflon

PreviousNext

Return to Burns