Barry Gibson Retires ? What happens to Burns ?

For any discussion specifically about Burns guitars

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Barry Gibson Retires ? What happens to Burns ?

Postby JimN » Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:12 pm

Teflon wrote:Thanks for the update Bill, it all sounds promising. I wonder if they will revive the Marvin, re-name it to avoid licensing costs (as per Legend/Dream), or drop it altogether (hope not)?

Cliff

Surely everyone who wants one already has one, or more?
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Billyboygretsch » Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:00 pm

Don’t know which models but the Burns association will be expanded - the new owners seem to know a deal about selling guitars. Personally I don’t think the Marvin will feature I wish them luck as it will be nice to have a U.K. name manufactured here
Billyboygretsch

Full Real Name: Bill Lovegrove

Postby Teflon » Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:47 am

JimN wrote:Surely everyone who wants one already has one, or more?

That would suggest that there are no younger players discovering the music of the Shadows. I hope that's not the case! Certainly, the presence of younger Youtubers like Robbie, Steve Reynolds, and Robson Field would suggest it's not :) . And of course, not all "Marvin" players have to be Shadows fans, afterall, I doubt that all Les Paul players are fans of Les Paul & Mary Ford :D . In the end, it all comes down to marketing I guess (but see my comment below!).

Billyboygretsch wrote:Don’t know which models but the Burns association will be expanded - the new owners seem to know a deal about selling guitars. Personally I don’t think the Marvin will feature I wish them luck as it will be nice to have a U.K. name manufactured here

I hope you're wrong re The Marvin, but I suspect you may well be right. I would imagine that the Rezotube system would make the model the most expensive of the range to manufacture by a considerable margin and despite my reply to Jim (above), I would have to concede that he is right in suggesting that sales would likely be relatively small. All in all, not a tempting prospect for the new owners :( .

Cliff
Teflon

Full Real Name: Cliff Bradley

Postby artyman » Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:24 am

Since I suspect that a lot of us own more than one Fender, and that company's frequent 'new models' seem to be purchased by someone and other manufacturers that produce 'expensive models the market may be larger than you may think. Original Burns models command good secondhand prices indicating that there is a demand for a guitar model, and not all of us possess a Burns at this moment in time, so what is the potential market.
artyman

Full Real Name: Ken Gillam

Previous

Return to Burns