Rezo-tubes

For any discussion specifically about Burns guitars

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Rezo-tubes

Postby Teflon » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:16 pm

harrybob wrote:That’s an intriguing idea Roger, how difficult are they to remove ?

Perhaps more importantly, how difficult are they to re-attach? ;)

Cliff
Teflon

Full Real Name: Cliff Bradley

Postby RogerCook » Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:29 pm

They screw in. I know that because several were loose when the got the guitar. I suspect they are an M5 size thread. They should be fairly straightforward to make but my lathe is in bits at the moment!
RogerCook

Full Real Name: Roger Cook

Postby Teflon » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:15 pm

Sounds fairly straightforward then :) . Just need to find someone who could make some for a price. Someone with a lathe perhaps (even one in bits). ;)

Could be a nice little earner as Arthur would say :D

Cliff
Teflon

Postby Billyboygretsch » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:36 am

The idea of the Rez o Tube was to resonate. Many latter models the tubes touch and don’t resonate thus defeating the objective.
Billyboygretsch

Full Real Name: Bill Lovegrove

Postby bor64 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:34 pm

A few Marvin's on the Black guitar site I've played and are owned by a friend of mine.
The ones you see with the Burns amp as a stand, are guitars owned by Alfons a famous Burns collector form The Netherlands.
One of his Marvin's is the 6026 first owned by a other friend of mine, who's pictured with his band in the Burns1979 book.
The band had all Burns 3 Marvin's and the second Shadow bass ever made (the first production model).
Those guitars were all sold early 70's , ten years later Nico Nelson(yes Lord Nelson relative)bought the 6026 to satisfied his longing to the past.
Sadly past away but the stories he told us about to be the first band after the shads to get the Burns,staying with us.
Funny to see a Marvin just 9 digits later has a pickguard date of January and mine is March...so what I've many times wrote in the past, about the all over the place manufacturing process of Burns is proved again...
I have a Marvin of every Burns production period and I noticed it too about the tubes, but never mentioned it again after I wrote about it... after the 2005 Custom Shadows guards red Marvin was launched....I got slaughtered on the net ;)

Cheers Rob
"afterwards everyone is clairvoyant"
bor64

Full Real Name: Rob Aartsen

Postby harrybob » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:54 am

Was it the whole bridge unit and tremolo made of duralumin or was it just the tubes on vintage guitars ? Also does someone have a photo of the trem cavity on a 2004 onwards model, I’ve looked online and can’t see one anywhere.

Thanks

Alun
harrybob

Full Real Name: Alun Stowell

Postby RogerCook » Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:39 pm

My understanding is that the whole thing was dural.
RogerCook

Full Real Name: Roger Cook

Postby bor64 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:36 pm

Hi Roger,

That's what if been told decades ago and what you can read in the books about Burns.
The 2004 trem isn't made of Duralum and isn't engraved either, all the fonts including the signature looks embossed...because the edges of the scripts are raised.

Hi Alun, why do you want to see a trem cavity picture?
2004 and on the cavities are not the same as on the old originals.

Cheers Rob
"afterwards everyone is clairvoyant"
bor64

Full Real Name: Rob Aartsen

Postby harrybob » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:10 am

Hi Rob,

Just curious to see the difference.

Cheers

Alun
harrybob

Full Real Name: Alun Stowell

Postby Teflon » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:46 am

bor64 wrote:.......... The 2004 trem isn't made of Duralum and isn't engraved either, all the fonts including the signature looks embossed...because the edges of the scripts are raised..............

I think the majority of the "new "Rezotubes" were engraved. I have 3: one from '97; one from '09, and one from '18. None of the 3 have raised edges to the script and all appear to engraved, however I have seen photos of units that look as you described.

On a recent Facebook post, Alan Entwistle mentioned that the majority of modern Rezotubes were made to a high standard by Booheung in Korea, however for a short period, the Chinese factory tried using locally produced units. These locally produced units were of a lesser quality, so they eventually switched back to the original supplier. I suspect (but don't know) that it's the locally produced Chinese units that were stamped rather than engraved.

Cliff
Teflon

PreviousNext

Return to Burns