Rezo-tubes

For any discussion specifically about Burns guitars

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Rezo-tubes

Postby harrybob » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:48 am

Hi all,

Bit of a strange one but I thought I would ask. I have recently purchased a UK made Burns Legend from 1995 which is absolutely wonderful and really nails the later shads tones. However looking at the back of the trem cavity I have noticed something that I am curious about. Having looked at various photos of vintage Marvins and also other later reissue versions I see that the ball end of the string sits quite shallow in the rezotube so that it can be seen quite easily from the back of the guitar, whereas on mine the ball end goes right into the tube and sits fairly close to the bottom of the bridge plate. Is it possible mine have been fitted the wrong way round ? If so can they be removed and refitted ?

Thanks

Alun
harrybob

Full Real Name: Alun Stowell

Re: Rezo-tubes

Postby Teflon » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:34 am

That's interesting! Just had a look at my Marvin "64" re-issue and, as you say, the ball end of the string sits shallow. I also have a '97 Legend Custom Delux and that is the same as your Legend: the ball end goes right into the tube and sits quite close to the bridge.

Never noticed that before (kind of wished you hadn't mentioned it :lol: ). I suspect it's probably by design, seeing that our guitars are from a similar period (my cert states March '97). Either way, as the Legend sounds so nice (noticeably nicer than the re-issue) I think I'll leave well alone. :) )

Cliff
Teflon

Full Real Name: Cliff Bradley

Postby harrybob » Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:24 pm

Hi Cliff,

Thanks for the reply, it’s good to know it’s probably meant to be like that. As you say they sound fantastic and probably not worth mucking around with :)

Cheers

Alun
harrybob

Postby RogerCook » Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:34 pm

I believe the modern re-issue Rez-o Tube trems are different to the originals. Modern trems are aluminium whereas older ones were duralumin which apparently resonates differently. The newer tubes appear to be slightly larger diameter. Mine actually touch each other. On photos of earlier models there appears to be a small gap between the tubes. Also in these pics, the ball end recess appears to be less deeply counterbored than the newer models.

Lots of pics here: http://blackguitars.com/burns-marvin.html
RogerCook

Full Real Name: Roger Cook

Postby harrybob » Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:14 pm

I thought the Legend guitars also had duralumin units and it was the 2004 and later non U.K. models that used different materials. The tubes on my guitar also have small gaps in between.

I love the Black Guitars website, amazing photos :)
harrybob

Postby Teflon » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:49 pm

This adjustment guide would seem to indicate that the Rezotube units on our '90's UK made instruments are incorrect :o : http://www.burnsguitars.com/BURNS_Custom%20Elite_INNER_HQ.pdf .

It would be interesting to hear from others with '90's era Rezotube instruments, but regardless, I love my Legend Custom Delux so won't worry too much :) .

Cliff
Teflon

Postby kevinr » Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:07 am

My 2 Legends (1995) are also set deep in the tube, where as my original 1964 Bison is almost at the outer end of the tube.
kevinr

Full Real Name: kevin ryan

Postby Teflon » Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:11 am

Thanks for that. Looks like it's a '90s thing then :D

Cliff
Teflon

Postby RogerCook » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:20 am

I intend to make some new tubes for my trem, slightly smaller od and shallower counterbore. Whether it will make a noticeable difference I don't know!
RogerCook

Full Real Name: Roger Cook

Postby harrybob » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:39 pm

That’s an intriguing idea Roger, how difficult are they to remove ?
harrybob

Next

Return to Burns