Rezo-tubes

For any discussion specifically about Burns guitars

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Rezo-tubes

Postby dave robinson » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:09 pm

In all honesty I have yet to hear anything advantageous about ResoTubes. I firmly believe it's a case of 'The King's New Clothes'.
Back in 1963, Jim Burns had to be seen to not to be copying Fender and that's about it. My new £249 Burns SSJ sounds equally as good as my Marvin and it has what we would describe as a generic tremolo system, though it is a thick block rather than the budget type, but again I have a couple of those and the guitars sound great. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby phil kelly » Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:17 pm

was told the ball ends sitting low in the r/tubes was done to improve tuning stability, rightly or wrongly makes you think it kind of defeats the idea of the string resonanting the whole length of the tube
phil kelly

Full Real Name: phil kelly

Postby Teflon » Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:30 pm

dave robinson wrote:In all honesty I have yet to hear anything advantageous about ResoTubes. I firmly believe it's a case of 'The King's New Clothes'.
Back in 1963, Jim Burns had to be seen to not to be copying Fender and that's about it. My new £249 Burns SSJ sounds equally as good as my Marvin and it has what we would describe as a generic tremolo system, though it is a thick block rather than the budget type, but again I have a couple of those and the guitars sound great. :)

To be honest, I think you're probably right. As I understand it, the design first came about in order to avoid infringing patents that Fender held at the time. it does no harm though, looks amazing, and has the 2nd coolest name in the history of guitar manufacture (1st has to be "Rezomatic" :D). For those reasons alone, I love it. The fact that the tremolo unit works as well as it does is a real Brucey Bonus :D .

phil kelly wrote:was told the ball ends sitting low in the r/tubes was done to improve tuning stability, rightly or wrongly makes you think it kind of defeats the idea of the string resonanting the whole length of the tube

Interesting. If it's true (and it could well be), I wonder why they reverted back. One for me to pursue on the Burns FB page perhaps.

Cliff
Teflon

Full Real Name: Cliff Bradley

Postby bor64 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:30 pm

Hi Teflon/Cliff,

I mentioned the 2004 rezotube unit because, they were used on the Chinese 2004 anniversary Marvin and then for the "1964" series.
So nothing to do with the '04 and other years rezotubes for the legend/Marvin and other years projects.
They used the embossed and grey spray-painted unit and also generic strat pu's,to get the unit production price at the desired level.
That's why they don't sound as a original....more like a strat, (that was the goal all the time). A strat sound was more the aim, to sell more Marvin's to peeps who know only the strat sound.
It was a very fruitful adventure for Burns and the shads, the 2004&2005 projects ;)

Cheers Rob
"afterwards everyone is clairvoyant"
bor64

Full Real Name: Rob Aartsen

Postby Teflon » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:51 pm

Cheers Rob, all good, interesting info.

As ans aside, I meant to ask, how come you got slaughtered on the 'net. Was it related to Rezotube design, or the Red Marvins? Just curious :)

Cliff
Teflon

Postby bor64 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:50 pm

Cliff, they didn't believe me.... they told me, I was a prat that was going bonkers and in surge for a few marbles because I missed some!
The told me to sod off the site....

Cheers Rob
bor64

Postby Teflon » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:36 pm

:shock: :shock: Nice. I think it's fair to say you have been well and truly vindicated though :)

Cliff
Teflon

Postby Billyboygretsch » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:11 am

Spens guitars in Denmark is selling many styles of Rez vibrato units. On the Burns FB pages.
Billyboygretsch

Full Real Name: Bill Lovegrove

Postby Teflon » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:35 pm

Billyboygretsch wrote:Spens guitars in Denmark is selling many styles of Rez vibrato units. On the Burns FB pages.

Yup, ordered one earlier today as a spare for my Marvin, just in case of future accident :) Hopefully I'll never need it!

Cliff
Teflon

Postby bor64 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:21 pm

Hi Cliff,

During the past 40+ years I gathered spare parts....two years ago I came to the conclusion, I used the spare parts for repairing other folks guitars.
And just two times for myself...
So I built 3 strats completely using spare parts I didn't used before, and guess what I still have spare parts left ;)

Cheers Rob
bor64

Previous

Return to Burns