Burns Recent Production

For any discussion specifically about Burns guitars

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Burns Recent Production

Postby Billyboygretsch » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:45 am

Interesting background from Alan Entwistle on Burns production in China

No, the Marvins were made at "Farida" (Grand Reward) which was a Taiwan owned factory, that was about 30 mins drive from where we made the Club series, they recently went into receivership, producing generally mid to high end products, such as the very well made Farida guitars for Dawsons and Tanglewood's excellent Sundance/Masterdesign series, also K Yairi, and Saga instruments. On the electric side they made the Fender Classic Vibe series, and a number of the more unusual Fenders such as the Coronado semi acoustic.They made the Burns Elite series, the Marvin, Dream, Apache, Apache D6, D6, Bison 62, Bison Bass, Steer and Jet Sonic. Some D6's were made at the Club series factory. There were plans fully drawn up to make the Marvin, D6 and Steer (and eventually the Dream and Apache) at the Club/Revelation factory, but the takeover took place before this could happen. All in all the Farida made products were excellent, if not a bit pricey, however there is no doubt in my mind that transferring Elite to the Club, Rev factory would have been seamless, most probably with better price points resulting.
One downside of producing at the two factories, and i can say this now thus laying to rest a serious point of contention, is the use of Burns components such as knobs, switch tips etc, the Club series was often criticized for using Fender parts such as Strat and Tele knobs, etc, this actually came from the top as these specific "Burns" components were held specifically for the Elite series, so as to make a greater difference between Club and Elite.
Also some really stupid contradictory situations occurred between the two factories, for example at one point in Elite production they got a local engineering factory to make the Rezotube units, normally these were made by Booheung in Korea, and these are very good, the locally made ones, not so good, the pickups were another point as on some Elite series guitars the Rezomatiks had been made by Wusung Chorus which sounded rather sterile (Farida were supposed to use Entwistle Rezomatiks and for the most part they did, the Woosung Rezomatiks were used prior to the Entwistle ones, and they had back stocks so they used them up), thus came about the crazy situation where a Club series Bison 64's ended up with the better Booheung Rezotube units, and the correct Rezomatiks, against the Elite produced Marvins with the more inferior locally made Rezotubes, and incorrect Rezomatiks, yet at double the price point!
Billyboygretsch

Full Real Name: Bill Lovegrove

Re: Burns Recent Production

Postby Iain Purdon » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:02 pm

An interesting read. Thanks!
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby Gruntfuttock » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:07 pm

I have a Farida Les Paul style guitar. It’s a lovely instrument. Good quality and build. It’s a pleasure to play.
An interesting storey. I bought the guitar when I lived in Shanghai. I actually bought it from Andrew Cunningham who (I think) was/is the MD Of Tonerider P/ups. He was living in Shanghai at the time but has since moved to the UK. He had three models from Farida in order to demonstrate his pick ups at the musical instrument exhibition that happens each October.
He kindly installed a pair of Tonerider Rebel P90 p/ups for me.
I thought Farida had a factory in Chine - but I could be wrong.
Dave
Gruntfuttock

Full Real Name: David Michael Redknap

Postby Teflon » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:35 pm

Fascinating stuff folks, many thanks for posting. Does anyone know in what way the locally produced Rezomatics were inferior, and perhaps how to identify them? I had heard that some Rezotubes were stamped, rather than engraved, but don't know if this is correct.

Cliff
Teflon

Full Real Name: Cliff Bradley

Postby dave robinson » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:50 am

I can recommend the Burns SSJ model that I just bought, the Shads sound is easy to achieve, but the icing onnthe cake is the infinite sustain that I achieve for Parisienne Walkways. At £249 it's a bargain and I love it. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Billyboygretsch » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:49 pm

You are correct some were stamped. Spens Guitars has around 20 Rezstyle terms if anyone after one. There are not likely to be any further Burns delivered to dealers until next year. Not sure who will be making them or what models
Billyboygretsch

Postby Billyboygretsch » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:51 pm

You are correct some were stamped. Spens Guitars has around 20 Rezstyle terms if anyone after one. There are not likely to be any further Burns delivered to dealers until next year. Not sure who will be making them or what models
Billyboygretsch

Postby RUSSET » Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:34 pm

I've just noticed Andertons are showing Burns guitars on their website now. They are a limited range at present inc. the Marquee Bass, the SSJ, & the Cobra models (with Neo-matic pickups), & also stocked are the Tri-sonic & Rezo-matic pickups.
I believe the pickups are now being made by Alan Entwistle.

Tony.
RUSSET

Postby dave robinson » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:21 am

I can tell you that the pickups on the SSJ are lovely. ;)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Return to Burns