Import Duty following Brexit

For any discussion specifically about Burns guitars

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Import Duty following Brexit

Postby Billyboygretsch » Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:06 am

If we don’t get a Brexit deal I would think the prices of Burns guitars will increase in mainland Europe. I understand from Burns dealer Spens Guitars in Denmark that they have not had any details of distribution from the new owners ! No announcements yet in U.K.
Billyboygretsch

Full Real Name: Bill Lovegrove

Re: Import Duty following Brexit

Postby Teflon » Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:13 pm

I really can't understand why, after all these months, they still don't seem to be communicating with potential buyers and trading partners. If they're looking at re-launching the brand, I would have thought it helpful to have the likes of Spens Guitars firmly on side. Hopefully they have a plan.

Cliff
Teflon

Full Real Name: Cliff Bradley

Postby Billyboygretsch » Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:53 pm

Hopefully - they don’t communicate well. Bjarne Spens not heard from them.
Billyboygretsch

Postby Iain Purdon » Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:06 pm

Surely it's best to wait to see what trading relationship is established between the UK and other markets? Until that happens, we can only speculate. That may be interesting fat to chew but it won't get us anywhere!

Iain
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby Billyboygretsch » Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:49 am

I personally think it’s best to prepare. Consider what the options are currently - what the options might be and make a decision. Leave it until the options have expired and you get what’s left. More important for dealers than personal purchasers
Billyboygretsch

Postby Iain Purdon » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:19 pm

Always good to be prepared. What might the options be and what should be decided, do you think?
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Re: Import Duty following Bre

Postby Billyboygretsch » Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:24 pm

I’m not sure what could be done without some detail from the new Burns owners. I think we will be ok in U.K. Mainland Europe may have a problem. Depends on where the products are made. Chinese products could go to separate locations in U.K. and a Central European location. U.K. manufactured products might have European tariffs added.
Guess we will have to wait and hear from the new owners.
Billyboygretsch

Postby scouserjoe2 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:30 pm

Hi there,

As a retired Customs and Excise Officer I can tell you reliably that if the UK confirms a trade deal with the EU then transactions between the UK and Europe will remain free of import duty and additional UK VAT just as they are now. If the UK does not confirm a trade deal with the EU then transactions will be subject to WTO terms. This will mean the imposition of the relevant scale of duty plus UK VAT of 20%. Similarly goods going out of the UK into the EU will be subject to the same duties and VAT relevant to the country of destination. Other regulations, conditions and restrictions may apply.

Remember that when importing from a country currently outside the EU, such as the USA, then duty and VAT will be applied to the amount shown on the commercial invoice supplied with the goods including the charge for shipping. Importations are also often subject to merchant's charges if a merchant processes the importation for you. Any trade agreement with a country usually involves the determination of the rate of duty (if any), tariffs, import restrictions and conditions and quotas.

Finally, when goods are imported into the EU, from wherever outside the EU, then duty and VAT is applied. Once applied in the country of importation then they are available for free circulation without further charge.

Having said all that, not all importations are charged with duty and VAT. Surprisingly, during this Covid-19 pandemic I have heard that many importations have been cleared without paying duty and VAT. I have just experienced that myself when importing a set of the new Kinman pickups; despite the commercial invoice and value of the goods being clearly visible, the item was cleared without the required payment of duty and VAT. By the way, this had nothing to do with my previous occupation - just a matter of luck !! :-)

Best

Ian
scouserjoe2

Full Real Name: Ian Evans

Postby JimN » Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:11 pm

Billyboygretsch wrote:If we don’t get a Brexit deal I would think the prices of Burns guitars will increase in mainland Europe. I understand from Burns dealer Spens Guitars in Denmark that they have not had any details of distribution from the new owners ! No announcements yet in U.K.

Will the normal ranges of Burns guitars count as imports from the UK or from China?

If the latter, what is going to change?
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Billyboygretsch » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:55 am

I’m not clear that there is a standard range of guitars still. The Chinese ones came via Alan Entwistle but I’m not sure if he’s involved. There is no information still from the company regarding Burns.
There are a few Alan Entwistle built models in U.K. dealers still and at Spens Guitars in Denmark.
I’ve tried asking the “New Burns” but no response. As soon as I hear anything I’ll inform. Likewise if anyone else hears anything let us know.
Billyboygretsch

Next

Return to Burns