New Marvin

For anything specifically about Burns guitars

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: New Marvin

Postby Teflon » Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:35 pm

With regard to The Marvin's obvious association with The Shadows and Hank in particular, this morning I had a rather sobering experience. I was in the gym, and got chatting to a young guy who is also a keen guitar player - I'd say he was in his mid - late twenties. He showed me a couple of clips of his playing (he was rather good!) and then asked me what style music I liked playing. When I mentioned Hank and The Shadows, he had absolutely no idea who they were!!

Although rather sad in most respects, I guess it at least means young folk like him will have no pre-conceived ideas on The Marvin as a guitar. I should add, I didn't mention the guitar to him, as I'm sure he'd have never heard of it either, and I had no wish to feel any older than I already did! :D

Cliff
Teflon

Full Real Name: Cliff Bradley

Postby Uncle Fiesta » Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:04 pm

You say he was in his mid to late twenties?

These days there are probably people in their mid to late fifties who've never heard of the Shadows. Certainly not in their heyday!
Uncle Fiesta

Full Real Name: Steve Tebble

Postby neil2726 » Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:29 am

Not really a shock, I've spoken to quite a few younger people 20/30s who have never heard of the Shadows! Then again I've never heard of the bands/singers they are fans of! :D
neil2726

Full Real Name: Neil Sutton

Postby JimN » Sun Feb 27, 2022 12:53 pm

During that BBC4 documentary on The Shadows, about eighteen months ago, Brian Bennett mentioned someone called "Drake", the implication being that Drake (whoever he or she may be) is - or was - famous.

As far as I know (or care), Drake is about as famous as the average contender on "Celebrity Mastermind".
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby neil2726 » Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:36 am

How many of us have heard of 99% of the so called celebs on the TV quiz shows?
neil2726

Full Real Name: Neil Sutton

Postby drakula63 » Tue Mar 01, 2022 5:21 pm

JimN wrote:During that BBC4 documentary on The Shadows, about eighteen months ago, Brian Bennett mentioned someone called "Drake", the implication being that Drake (whoever he or she may be) is - or was - famous.

As far as I know (or care), Drake is about as famous as the average contender on "Celebrity Mastermind".

Drake? Never heard of him.
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby dave robinson » Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:01 pm

Brian once asked his grand daughters' who Drake was because he'd had a request from 'Drake' to use a sample of Brian's work on "Voyage'.
I was told this back in 2002 when I was rehearsing with him and the rest of the Vibratos at Homeyhill for our Shadowmania appearance.
He was delighted when he found out that 'Drake' Sold thousands of records and his grand daughters' thought that grandad was really cool.
I's a story that made me smile at the time and Brian laughed all the way to he bank.:)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby MeBHank » Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:16 pm

Drake is one of the world's biggest-named music acts of the last twenty years. He's a Canadian rapper. Tragically his name is far better-known internationally (or even in the UK, for that matter) nowadays than that of The Shadows. Him using that one track, as Dave says, would likely be a bigger earner for Brian than most of the material we're familiar with!

My girlfriend, a couple of years before I met her, was roped into going to a show of Drake's in London (I forget which arena she said - either the O2 or Wembley). Apparently, unimpressed, she left soon after he appeared on stage and made her way to a jazz club where she spent the rest of her evening. I was so proud of her when she told me! :D :lol:
Justin Daish
MeBHank

Full Real Name: Justin Daish

Postby Teflon » Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:12 am

Some lovely shots of a "Marvin" here:

Given the date and how new they look, I'm guessing some nice hand made "Legends" :)

Cliff
Teflon

Full Real Name: Cliff Bradley

Postby Uncle Fiesta » Sun Mar 13, 2022 5:31 am

Bit of a waste when you hear the horrible noise he is making on it.
Uncle Fiesta

Full Real Name: Steve Tebble

PreviousNext

Return to Burns