New Marvin

For anything specifically about Burns guitars

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

New Marvin

Postby Billyboygretsch » Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:50 am

I understand the Marvin is to be resurrected.
Is there a need for one
Should it be U.K. or is China or doesn’t it matter?
Does the Marvin need any adjustments / updates ?

I’m sure Hank will be paid and that will add to price. BG dropped the Marvin because of he charge.

[list=][/list]
Billyboygretsch

Full Real Name: Bill Lovegrove

Re: New Marvin

Postby Rover » Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:38 pm

Good news, I look forward to it. I definitely want it to be UK made.
Rover

Full Real Name: Roger Dyball

Postby anniv 63 » Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:48 pm

Far too many of the Anniversary 2004 models were produced I.M.H.O.
Anyone who wanted one or similar has been able to obtain with ease.
I do not see any investment value or saleability of these proposed new production models
particularly as a generation who have purchased Marvin's over the years are now
in our twilight years!!!

Mike
anniv 63

Full Real Name: mj shiach

Postby JimTidmarsh » Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:11 pm

When I bought my Burns Legend (Marvin by any other name) in 2000, the shop had stocked it since1997 (certificate included) and were happy to heavily discount it.
It would appear the demand was low even then.
JimTidmarsh

Full Real Name: Jim Tidmarsh

Postby Teflon » Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:49 pm

anniv 63 wrote:........... Anyone who wanted one or similar has been able to obtain with ease........

Mike

But the same could be said of the Fender Strat, or Gibson Les Paul. The Marvin is an excellent guitar and with the right marketing could well succeed beyond it's current customer base of "wannabe Hanks" (like me :oops: : ). Hopefully the new owners will get it into the hands of a few indie bands and give it's image a bit of a shake up so it appeals to younger buyers. It's surprising (to me, at least) how many younger players have no pre-conceived ideas of the Marvin as they've never seen, nor heard of one before.

Interesting times ahead I think.

Cliff
Teflon

Full Real Name: Cliff Bradley

Postby dave robinson » Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:39 pm

Personally I don't think there's much of a market for a Burns Marvin, it's only a very small niche of the fans that actually like them. As far as refinements go I got Barry to get me some decent pickups for mine back in 2005 and they were a massive improvement on what was fitted. I still have my 2004 40th Anniversary (No40) and play it rarely.
I'm surprised that Hank still takes a cut after all this time, Burns would be better off releasing it under a new name if they insist on making more, it doesn't have to say his name to be a good instrument.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Billyboygretsch » Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:27 pm

I’d agree with that Dave. Hank not used it in years. I think Burns been too closely associated with Hank / Shadows. They’ll need a new hook / model and some innovation to take the brand forward. Could have happened possibly with Alan Entwistle but he doesn’t seem to be involved. The new owners are mainly U.K. resellers and not guitar manufacturers
Billyboygretsch

Full Real Name: Bill Lovegrove

Postby dave robinson » Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:18 pm

100% agree about Alan Entwistle, he would be the man to move Burns forward. His work with the Rapier 33 really paid off and I use that guitar as a main instrument at least 50% of the time. It's a good guitar and ticks all the boxes for me . ;)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby MikeAB » Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:18 pm

No expert or a 'real' player but I don't like my Marvin - in fact I'm amazed and impressed that people can play it so well. They should make a perfect Marquee I reckon, or do a Marvin with a better Trem (same thing?!).
MikeAB

Full Real Name: Mike Barnes

Postby dave robinson » Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:10 pm

There can be no denying that the Marvin was and is an iconic guitar, to some of us as iconic as Paul's Hofner 500/1 bass, because it was there at he time back in the great days of the music we grew up with.
However from a player's point of view there are little niggles and as much as I love it, I do prefer my Stratocaster. One big gripe for me is the tremolo and how it obstructs the controls. If all I had to do was play one Shadows tune after another, then I could possibly live with it as whilst you are just having to play it there's no problem. The trouble starts when you have to make quick changes to tone, volume and pickup selection and Leo Fender got that pretty much spot on with the Strat, which is why Jim Burns had to alter it to avoid patents. My Burns SSJ two pickup with it's Strat style trem is a lot more 'player friendly' and I prefer it over my Marvin. Maybe now the patent thing has disappeared a Marvin could be introduced with the same great looks but with player friendly trem and controls in place. My Burns Brian May is a joy to play and has a Wilkinson Strat style trem with smooth feel and flat comfortable bridge saddles, as do the PRS guitars. That is an improvement and Leo made more improvements just before his death with his tone circuit with proper bass and treble controls that give the guitar the early Shads tone when you use the bass cut, no need for expensive pedals to get it, you know the ones I'm talking about. I ordered and received today a Stratocaster tone circuit from Rhoadhouse who advertise on eBay, the exact clone of the G&L S-500 and Legacy one circuits t fits into a Strat and I look forward to hearing ho it improves one of my Strats.. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Next

Return to Burns