strings vibrating

For any discussion specifically about Burns guitars

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

strings vibrating

Postby chris mcbain » Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:33 pm

Hello Shad Friends,
Need some advice ref my new Burns marquee I have had this guitar about a month now and still getting used to it, but have noticed that the
low E .A .D strings seem to vibrate or ring out when not picked, not all the time sometimes all three sometimes just one or two and but once
my ear picks it up its annoying , so placing a finger on the nut or zero fret makes no difference but just touching the saddles it stops the vibrating / ringing
on closer inspection the saddles have a small groove cut in them ( between the two small adjusting height screws) and these three strings don't sit in the groove
but rest on top of the slot, the other three strings G.B.E. fit inside the groove, I have two fenders which the strings on these just sit between the small screws
as there are no V slots so could this be the problem ??? so are these saddles just a Burns thing apart from this it plays very nice.
I am sure some one will give me the correct info to sort out this problem.

Thank you .
Chris.
chris mcbain

Full Real Name: Christopher Mcbain

Re: strings vibrating

Postby JimN » Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:03 am

It sounds as though the string saddles on the lower three strings could be usefully adjusted by a careful widening of the slots, such that the strings sit securely in each of them. You can do it - with care - with a suitable needle file. Each slot will need to be a different width, of course.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Garystrat » Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:11 am

This is a fairly new guitar, it should be the responsibility of the retailer to ensure that it’s all working properly and there are no faults, I would speak to them and Email close up photos of what you are describing for their opinion.

The strings should seat properly at the saddle pivot point and be able to move freely in the groove, I always lubricate this as part of normal maintenance with 3 in 1 oil using a cotton bud, whilst also putting a very light smear across the saddles to stop sweat deterioration.
Garystrat

Full Real Name: Gary Willmott

Postby chris mcbain » Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:00 am

Thanks Jim Gary for your comments ,

On closer inspection without removing the strings it looks like all of the saddles have the same size v cut
so no wonder there's a problem also these are gold finished so hopefully it may just be the finish narrowing the v slots.
Will send off an E Mail to Andertons for there comments as Jim said should be easy enough to sort out and will keep everyone
up to date ,a few people on this site have bought recently so hopefully there will be some more feed back.

Thanks.
Chris.
Last edited by chris mcbain on Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chris mcbain

Postby chris mcbain » Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:32 pm

Hello I have just spoken to Andertons music and explained the problem and they have offered to check it over or replace it if I would like
I also mentioned about opening up the V slots myself but as the saddles are gold plated it may take the finish off, so we agreed if they can
source and send me spare saddles that may be the best solution will keep everyone updated and see how it plays out. ( pardon the pun )

Thanks .
Chris.
chris mcbain

Postby Garystrat » Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:35 pm

Personally, I would let Andertons check it out for you, it could also be something to with the setup and they can make sure everything is OK!

Gary

PS: If you get replacement saddles, do you know how to do the intonation?
Garystrat

Postby chris mcbain » Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:25 pm

Hi Gary ,
Yes I do know how to do the intonation ,I have just looked at the photos on their site of the marquees and the saddles and the strings look the same as mine
( not fitting right into the V ) so will give them a call as you may be right could be something else .

Chris.
chris mcbain

Postby Garystrat » Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:40 pm

Hi Chris,

I wouldn't be too surprised if it was something to do with action height or neck adjustment, sometimes it can just take a small tweak.

Nothing untoward was meant by my comment about intonation, I just wanted make sure you were aware of how to get the initial positioning, I use a one metre steel rule for measuring this out from the back of the nut.

Regards

Gary
Garystrat

Postby chris mcbain » Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:19 pm

Hi Gary,
Just read my last post back sorry if it seemed a bit sharp with the yes i do know bit.
Thank you for your comments on what could be causing the vibrating,it could well be the height or neck both I have had the guitar
about 4 weeks now and it has only just started the vibrating in the last 2/3 days , the guitar could well have been in a storage container for weeks
before it arrived at mine and has now has reached room temperature and just needs a little adjustment here and there. Any comments or advice
are always appreciated on this site it helps everyone.

Thank you.

Chris.
chris mcbain

Postby chris mcbain » Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:29 am

Hello Shads Friends,
Quick update on my previous posts completely forgot about giving you the results, well Andersons Guitars contacted me a said the replacement saddles would be with me
in several days, so i decided to start work on the guitar before they arrived i removed the E,A,D strings and using masking tape covered over the pick ups and
trem system and the saddles which were OK ,the plastic is still on the pick guard so that was already protected. I have one on those cheap repair kits with various screw
drivers/ fret covers / files etc so leaving the three faulty saddles in situ and holding them tightly very slowly filed into the V's on the saddles this took me about
15 minutes for each one stopping after several light filing actions and placing the appropriate string into the V groove so as not to go too deep, I fitted new string and yes
some of gold came off inside the V slot but the strings cover just about all of the widened area, I adjusted the truss rod slightly and string height action, tuned up etc
and now plays perfect .( the new saddles arrived and have not fitted them as yet thought i Would wait till the next string change ) really pleased with the result and
also the service from Andertons .

Chris.
chris mcbain

Return to Burns