Buying a reissue burns marvin,

For anything specifically about Burns guitars

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Buying a reissue burns marvin,

Postby hiffclall » Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:47 am

Moderne wrote:Jack Golder - who was the Burns factory manager in the '60s and who had his own range of quality 'Shergold' guitars in the '70s - made a few replica Marvins about 30+ years ago, as a sideline to his main kitchen furniture business. I bought one of these - a greenburst Marvin (with the correct neck pocket) - from The Fourmost guitarist a couple of years ago and it is superb. Jim Burns himself made a replica 'Marvin' in the early '80s with his 'Burns Actualisers' company - but this was quite a long way from the original. They came in white, black with black scratchplate (reminiscent of the black Strat Hank was playing at the time) and sunburst. Examples still turn up on eBay from time to time.

The original 'Marvin' was designed by Jim Burns (with input from Hank and Bruce) to be an improved Strat...with tremolo features to get round the Fender Strat patents. Incidentally, does Stuart Duffy still look at this site as his input would be most useful.

Thanks Clive! Very interesting.

There's a Jack Golder Marvin for sale on the Burns facebook page at the moment.

Are the shergold replicas considered as good as the various Burns?
hiffclall

Full Real Name: matthew moore

Postby Teflon » Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:11 pm

The Shergold variants also have a good reputation. As far as I understand though, they don't have the unique truss rod "gearbox" system that both the originals, and the Barry Gibson re-issues shared. Doesn't make them bad guitars of course, but it does mean there will be a visible truss rod cover on the headstock if that sort of thing bothers you.

If I were in your shoes, I think I'd see what Dave can offer with his re-issue Marvin, as he said he's installed the original "Jim Cairns" pickups , so it will be a cracking instrument. "Original" style neck pocket too :) .

Cliff
Teflon

Full Real Name: Cliff Bradley

Postby hiffclall » Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:31 pm

Teflon wrote:The Shergold variants also have a good reputation. As far as I understand though, they don't have the unique truss rod "gearbox" system that both the originals, and the Barry Gibson re-issues shared. Doesn't make them bad guitars of course, but it does mean there will be a visible truss rod cover on the headstock if that sort of thing bothers you.

If I were in your shoes, I think I'd see what Dave can offer with his re-issue Marvin, as he said he's installed the original "Jim Cairns" pickups , so it will be a cracking instrument. "Original" style neck pocket too :) .

Cliff

Thanks Cliff :-) Will do
hiffclall

Postby Moderne » Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:42 pm

Teflon wrote:The Shergold variants also have a good reputation. As far as I understand though, they don't have the unique truss rod "gearbox" system that both the originals, and the Barry Gibson re-issues shared. Doesn't make them bad guitars of course, but it does mean there will be a visible truss rod cover on the headstock if that sort of thing bothers youCliff

I think some of them do and some of them don't. Mine doesn't have the visible truss rod cover on the headstock but a friend of mine had a 'Marvin' which did.
Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

Postby Teflon » Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:34 pm

Moderne wrote:I think some of them do and some of them don't. Mine doesn't have the visible truss rod cover on the headstock but a friend of mine had a 'Marvin' which did.

Interesting - thanks. Just shows there's always something new to learn :)

Cliff
Teflon

Full Real Name: Cliff Bradley

Postby hiffclall » Wed May 03, 2023 4:46 pm

Great to have helpful people on this forum who are knowledgeable can give advice. Tis a minefield for the un-initiated :-)
hiffclall

Postby JimN » Wed May 03, 2023 4:58 pm

If the original poster - Matthew Hall - is still interested in buying an original - not reissue - 1960s Marvin (the model with the proper headstock scroll, and original case, etc), I might be able to help him, at a more than reasonable price. Perhaps I should say at a less than reasonable price. What I mean is that it'd be lower than you'd expect, at any rate. And probably not much more than you'd have to pay for a 2004 Anniversary reissue.

I have the instrument here, but it does not belong to me and is the property of a friend in the USA. I have authority to sell it.

Please PM me or email: jnugent@ac30.co.uk.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby hiffclall » Thu May 04, 2023 2:29 pm

Thanks Jim. :-)
hiffclall

Previous

Return to Burns