Buying a reissue burns marvin,

For anything specifically about Burns guitars

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Buying a reissue burns marvin,

Postby hiffclall » Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:03 pm

Hi all. Hope you are well. New member here :-)

To cut a long story short: have been keeping an eye out for a white burns marvin ...bit of a pipe dream but would love to have one to play (not interested in just collecting)

Due to financial constraints I don't think I will be able to afford (or even find) an original 60s one so am thinking about one of the reissues.

However, I'm getting confused with dates and descriptions.

Does anyone have a sort of potted history of the reissues and thoughts on whether they are good or bad?

I've seen "1964" reissues which I think come from 2004?? Is that right? I presume copies of a model made in 1964?

Then there seems to be an "apache" which is a variation on a marvin. I'm not sure when that was made.

Then the legend, shadows custom edition, hank marvin signature edition.... yikes!

I realise some of these are as rare as hen's teeth

Any pointers greatly appreciated.....
hiffclall

Full Real Name: matthew moore

Re: Buying a reissue burns marvin,

Postby Teflon » Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:13 pm

A good place to start is Trevor Midgleys excellent site here:http://www.trevormidgley.com/BurnsGuitars/index.html

In brief terms, The Legend was the earliest incarnation of the Marvin re-issue before Barry G had permission to use Hanks name and signature. Theye are usually UK made, and therefore tend to be more expensive that the the later Chinese made Marvins. The "Marvin Anniversary" and the "Marvin 1964" are essentially the same guitar. The anniversary editions usually (but not always!) had a bound fret board, whereas the Marvin 1964 usually did not (though some do!) The only real difference is the neck plate and the certificate (The anniversary certificate is hand signed by Hank).

All variants are excellent - the Chinese models usually cheaper to buy but every bit as good with excellent build quality.

Cliff
Last edited by Teflon on Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Teflon

Full Real Name: Cliff Bradley

Postby neil2726 » Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:29 pm

As far as I understand things - Barry Gibson revived the Burns brand and as the was no licensing agreement with Hank the "Marvin" was reissued as The Legend. When the Shads did their 2004 tour Hank was signed up and the Marvin was reissued under that name and called the 40th Anniversay model. The guitars were modelled from Bruces original Marvin from the 64 era. Some had the original neck pocket, but as there were problems with the finish cracking at this point, later ones had the normal neck fitting! The guitars came with a signed photo of Hank! Only 2004 were made, but as there was still a demand the guitars were then reissued as Marvins model 2004, with no photo of Hank and no limit on the numbers made. At the same time the Marvin Anniversary was also issued in Greenburst!
Following the 2004 tour the Shads did a tour of Europe and used red Marvins which were called the Shadow model, bearing both Hank and Bruces signatures - these were a limited addition of 500 and had gold hardware. When the agreement with Hank ended various models were manufactured - such as the Apache and Dream, in various colours with gold hardware!
I would think that buying second hand the 2004 reissue would be the cheaper option. All the reissues were considered better guitars than the originals!

Other members may have more info
neil2726

Full Real Name: Neil Sutton

Postby hiffclall » Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:56 pm

Thanks both for your very helpful and informative replies.

I'm sure you may have heard this but just in case not...

I got in touch with an old Kingston university buddy and he told me that Burns used to use the CNC machine at the uni. Apparently a porsche would turn up full of wood to make guitar bodies. :-)
hiffclall

Postby dave robinson » Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:27 pm

I was lucky to know Barry Gibson at the time through my work with Warren Bennett and The Vibratos and I was allocated number 40 of the 2004 made in that first batch.
I mentioned to Barry at Shadowmania that the guitar played well, but the new red one sounded better and I thought the bridge pickup on my Marvin sounded a bit 'harsh' and the following year at the same venue whilst having breakfast in the hotel, Barry came over and brought me a small package and said "Don't tell anybody 'cos they'll all want them" and when I opened the package there were three new pickups for my white Marvin made by the guy who used to make them in the sixties. I fitted them as soon as I got home and what a difference it made to that guitar, it absolutely sings ! Of course I let Barry know and I used it for a few years until I became ill but it doesn't come out much now.
Mine is the original design with the sixties neck pocket as I didn't like them changing it at the time as to me it's not what it was.
I sold the red one as I could never accept the Marvin in that colour, as beautiful as if was and now I have my white Marvin and Greenburst Double Six tucked away and never played as we don't have much demand for Shadows events any more. I will be selling up shortly so anyone seriously interested should watch this space, as I have quite a few desireable Shadows related echoes, amps and guitars that are no longer used. ;)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby hiffclall » Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:31 pm

That's a great story Dave!.

I have seen the red burns and I just can't take to them. I loved the idea of a red strat when I was younger but for a Marvin, only the white looks right to me. Not that I've owned either mind.....

Where would you be advertising your items when you sell them? In the "marketplace" sub group?
hiffclall

Postby dave robinson » Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:09 pm

mozart999uk wrote:That's a great story Dave!.

I have seen the red burns and I just can't take to them. I loved the idea of a red strat when I was younger but for a Marvin, only the white looks right to me. Not that I've owned either mind.....

Where would you be advertising your items when you sell them? In the "marketplace" sub group?

I too think along those lines Matt, a Burns Marvin by definition should be white, with tortoiseshell plates, but the greenburst is acceptable too.
Fiesta red or anything similar is a Fender thing and should remain so. I always liked Burns colours such as the green burst and red/black burst, they are quality on those instruments. I recently sold on my Burns Short Scale Jazz which was in red/black burst, absolutely beautiful, but I don't play anywhere near the amount I used to, so that's why I'm selling stuff. I'm 76 this year going on 20 in my head, but the body is complaining and I tire easily.
With Hank - Shadows related stuff like my Meazzi Echomatic/ TVS3 / Vox AC30/4/ my old 1962 & 63 red Strats, I will most certainly mention those here before going out to the public, just because the echo machines and amp are special and belong in this circle in my mind.
I'll message you and you can discuss privately about the Marvin, I don't see me using it again as I have over seventy guitars and it isn't my 'go to' by any means. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Teflon » Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:45 pm

dave robinson wrote:...........................when I opened the package there were three new pickups for my white Marvin made by the guy who used to make them in the sixties. I fitted them as soon as I got home and what a difference it made to that guitar, it absolutely sings ! ................. )

I have a Fiesta Red Legend Custom Delux with those pickups. They were made by Jim Cairns (sadly no longer with us) and really do pack a punch - lovely things :) . The later "Rezomatics" are still pretty good by any other standard though (to my old ears, anyway). Love my Burns, they can be addictive though :oops:

dave robinson wrote:..... I have over seventy guitars and it isn't my 'go to' by any means.

I thought I had a lot at 6 :o . I definitely need to buy more guitars - just need to explain to the wife now :D

Cliff
Teflon

Full Real Name: Cliff Bradley

Postby Moderne » Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:15 pm

Jack Golder - who was the Burns factory manager in the '60s and who had his own range of quality 'Shergold' guitars in the '70s - made a few replica Marvins about 30+ years ago, as a sideline to his main kitchen furniture business. I bought one of these - a greenburst Marvin (with the correct neck pocket) - from The Fourmost guitarist a couple of years ago and it is superb. Jim Burns himself made a replica 'Marvin' in the early '80s with his 'Burns Actualisers' company - but this was quite a long way from the original. They came in white, black with black scratchplate (reminiscent of the black Strat Hank was playing at the time) and sunburst. Examples still turn up on eBay from time to time.

The original 'Marvin' was designed by Jim Burns (with input from Hank and Bruce) to be an improved Strat...with tremolo features to get round the Fender Strat patents. Incidentally, does Stuart Duffy still look at this site as his input would be most useful.
Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

Postby hiffclall » Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:45 am

dave robinson wrote:I'll message you and you can discuss privately about the Marvin, I don't see me using it again as I have over seventy guitars and it isn't my 'go to' by any means. :)

Thanks Dave. I'll keep a look out. I don't always get notification emails from this site so might be worth contacting me via my website:

http://www.matthewmooremusic.co.uk

seventy guitars? Almost one for every year of your life! 76 is still young fella! ;-)
hiffclall

Next

Return to Burns