Bruce's Burns!

For anything specifically about Burns guitars

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Bruce's Burns!

Postby neil2726 » Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:17 pm

I see that an ex Bruce Welch Burns Marvin is for sale at London Vintage Guitars for £16,999! It appears to come with documentation from Burns and Bruce and has the tremolo unit fixed in position! I note that it has a hole in the tremolo plate - was this done when John Farrah had the guitar? Pics are shown of Bruce with the guitar in the 60s, although it has the large TV Burns Logo! It now has the normal size logo!
neil2726

Full Real Name: Neil Sutton

Re: Bruce's Burns!

Postby Iain Purdon » Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:39 am

If it has a new logo since the 60s photos were taken, who would have changed it and why? Is it really the same guitar as Bruce is using in the pictures?
Also, is it the same guitar we were uncertainly wondering about here a year ago? Is the “Bruch” Welch here misspelt by the same person who then was mentioning John “Rustle”. It’s a lot of money.
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby neil2726 » Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:19 am

I take it that this is one of the trio of ex Shads Burns that were advertised some time ago, but they never produced actual pictures of them!
It does say that they have signed documentation from both Bruce ans Burns as to their authenticity! Anyone know if Bruce has actually sold his Burns to this company? If I recall they were offering Hanks at an even higher price, although we know his were stolen! I'm sure each of the band would have had several different guitars from 64 to 68.
neil2726

Full Real Name: Neil Sutton

Postby Teflon » Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:16 pm

Annoyingly, I spoke with Barry Gibson last Friday, and didn't think to ask him about these guitars - could have ended the debate once and for all! :( .

I've no idea if they're genuine or not, but personally I won't be buying.

Cliff
Teflon

Full Real Name: Cliff Bradley

Postby JimN » Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:32 pm

neil2726 wrote:I take it that this is one of the trio of ex Shads Burns that were advertised some time ago, but they never produced actual pictures of them!
It does say that they have signed documentation from both Bruce ans Burns as to their authenticity! Anyone know if Bruce has actually sold his Burns to this company? If I recall they were offering Hanks at an even higher price, although we know his were stolen! I'm sure each of the band would have had several different guitars from 64 to 68.

Hank had at least two separate white Marvins; he started with a 1964 model with unbound neck and progressed later in that decade to one with a bound (purfled) fretboard (as seen in the NMW Pollwinners' Concert photograph on the reverse of the sleeve of his first LP).

Whether that is true of Bruce is doubtful. He never moved onto one with a bound neck and it was stated that Bruce's original Marvin was the one used as a template for the first of the Burns Anniversary models.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Return to Burns