Stolen burns recovered?

For anything specifically about Burns guitars

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Stolen burns recovered?

Postby hiffclall » Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:37 pm

Just seen this on the burns facebook group:

https://imgur.com/mCloPD3

From a conversation I had with another forum member here, I feel this may not be genuine.

Any thoughts?
hiffclall

Full Real Name: matthew moore

Re: Stolen burns recovered?

Postby Iain Purdon » Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:00 pm

The photo includes the bass guitar which was not one of the instruments stolen. After John Rostill, Hank Marvin had it and so did John Farrar. It eventually found its way to Barry Gibson who put it on display at Shadowmania, where I saw and handled it.

Also the Burns 6-string guitars were later rebadged as Baldwins and I assume the stolen ones would therefore not have sported Burns badges.

Whatever this photo is, I think it’s not the haul from the theft.

But there are experts on this site who will know better than I do.
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby Teflon » Sat Jun 10, 2023 11:06 am

Bruce's Marvin is also still around - Barry G based the Marvin Anniversary and Marvin 1964 models on Bruce's original. Interestingly though, this trio of guitars have appeared on the 'net on a number of occasions and each time, it seems the same "stock" photos are used, with requests for more photos falling on deaf ears.

Cliff
Teflon

Full Real Name: Cliff Bradley

Postby neil2726 » Sat Jun 10, 2023 11:45 am

Yes this stock photo accompanied the advert form a certain retailer who was offering them for sale. Pics of the actual instruments never appeared and no reports of them being sold. The ads said that Bruces Burns came with proof of one of them being his guitar as I recall. So has Bruce sold his Burns to the retailer, or did they have more than one guitar each? I would imagine they had spare Burns guitars.
neil2726

Full Real Name: Neil Sutton

Postby JimN » Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:51 pm

The Shadows didn't have spare Burns guitars as such. They each had one in white and one in greenburst. Hank's white Marvin may have been changed by Baldwin. At the very least, the neck was changed for one with edge binding.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby hiffclall » Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:32 am

Thanks all for the replies. Very interesting stuff. Seems like another fake claim then. :-)
hiffclall

Full Real Name: matthew moore

Return to Burns