Shad Special "Quiet" high E string.

For anything specifically about Burns guitars

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Shad Special "Quiet" high E string.

Postby Shadbarmy1 » Tue Jul 18, 2023 5:11 pm

I had my Shad Special http://www.burnsguitars.com/shadowspecial.php strung with Ernie Ball 9-42 slinkies and had a problem with a "quiet" high E string. I tried all ways to check, or sort the low volume but nothing worked. I spotted something on t'internet suggesting the use of a 10 gauge string and "hey Presto" as they say, it worked. My high E now has a voice. Hope this may help others. I am still new to all this but am finding out more all the time. I have noticed very little difference in the playability but with my limited skills, I probably wouldn't anyway!
Shadbarmy1

Full Real Name: Mike Teaman

Re: Shad Special "Quiet" high E string.

Postby JimN » Fri Jul 21, 2023 6:07 pm

Did you fit a whole set of 10s (ie, 10 / 13 / 17 / 26w / 36 /46), or did you just replace the 09 E string with a 10.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Shadbarmy1 » Fri Jul 21, 2023 6:12 pm

I just replaced the top E with a 10.
Shadbarmy1

Postby Iain Purdon » Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:09 am

Is this quiet effect to do with the distance of the string from the pickup?
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby Shadbarmy1 » Sat Jul 22, 2023 12:42 pm

Iain Purdon wrote:Is this quiet effect to do with the distance of the string from the pickup?

I tried literally everything that is "usually" done (pickup height, string height, positioning etc) to no avail. On some amp settings, the top E seemed to almost disappear. Reading similar problems on the internet suggested the string change and it seems to have worked for me. I haven't changed all the strings as I didn't want to totally upset the tensioning and it seems to work as it is at present. Time will tell! I'm not sure what was fitted originally but was advised to use the 9-42's for playability (as a newbie).
Shadbarmy1

Postby JimN » Sat Jul 22, 2023 2:37 pm

It's a long time since I bought a new Fender, but I understand that today, new USA Stratocasters are supplied fitted with 09-42 as standard. I firmly believe that that is too light for a Stratocaster, whose tremolo system places great demands upon string stability. I use either 10-46 (WITH a wound third) or 11-42 (equally with a wound third).

Problems with the first E audibility on very light sets have been reported ever since the 1970s. The usual setting for Strat pickups (with "normal" sets of strings of whatever gauge) is that the treble end of the pickup is set markedly closer to the strings and the bass end further away. The slant is very visually obvious. I have four Strats and that is the basic setting on all of them.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Shadbarmy1 » Sun Jul 23, 2023 8:22 am

Thank you for the information. That is much appreciated.
Shadbarmy1

Return to Burns