The Green Marvins

For anything specifically about Burns guitars

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

The Green Marvins

Postby Iain Purdon » Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:08 pm

We know green Burns Marvins were seen in two films - Rhythm’n’Greens and Finders Keepers. But then we also know that exploding red Vox guitars were seen in Wonderful Life.

My question is this. Were the green Marvins just film props or did the Shadows play them in concert anywhere?
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Re: The Green Marvins

Postby Moderne » Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:32 pm

I think Hank and Bruce owned their greenburst Marvins (and John his greenburst Shadows bass) - they definitely weren't just film props. I would imagine the perception was that they would look better in colour whereas the white/brown tortoiseshell Marvins looked better on b+w TV. Hank used his green Marvin more when he was a solo artist - presumably because colour TV was becoming more prevalent. I don't believe the greenburst Marvins were ever made available to the general public. Hank and Bruce had their Marvins stolen from the MWF van in 1972...I'm not sure what became of John's greenburst Shadows Bass.
Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

Postby StuartD » Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:31 pm

They did use he Green Marvins from time to time

Hanks two Burns Guitars were stolen from the van during MWF Palladium appearance. By as early as 1969, both Bruce and John's green guitars were taken back by Baldwin and they weren't returned. Eventually they were both sold by Baldwin the shop at St Giles Circus. I knew who bought Bruce's and the bass ended up in Norway I have some pics somewhere of Bruce's guitar and the receipt, which clearly states 'ex Welch'. If I can find them ill post them. Hank's was not sent back for servicing and was thus retained by him
Last edited by StuartD on Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StuartD

Full Real Name: Stuart Duffy

Postby Iain Purdon » Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:20 pm

Thanks Clive and Stewart. Although I followed MWF closely at the time I had not picked up on this.

IMG_3826.jpeg
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby George Geddes » Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:48 pm

I have seen a couple of photos of what looks like a dressing room with Hank playing the green Marvin so presumably they were sometimes taken on tour?

George
George Geddes

Full Real Name: George Geddes

Postby GoldenStreet » Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:58 pm

By coincidence, I have been browsing through Mike Read's The Story of the Shadows, published in 1983, which includes Hank's collection of instruments, among which he lists... "a Burns twelve-string electric, a Burns double six (with six bass strings and six guitar strings) and two Burns Marvin guitars, one in green and one in white..."

Bill
GoldenStreet

Full Real Name: Bill Hannay

Postby JimN » Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:12 pm

GoldenStreet wrote:I have been browsing through Mike Read's The Story of the Shadows, published in 1983, which includes Hank's collection of instruments, among which he lists... "a Burns twelve-string electric, a Burns double six (with six bass strings and six guitar strings) and two Burns Marvin guitars, one in green and one in white..."
Bill

But is that quote from 1983, or, as it really must be, from no later than 1972 (which is when the two Marvins were stolen)?
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby GoldenStreet » Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:09 pm

JimN wrote:
GoldenStreet wrote:I have been browsing through Mike Read's The Story of the Shadows, published in 1983, which includes Hank's collection of instruments, among which he lists... "a Burns twelve-string electric, a Burns double six (with six bass strings and six guitar strings) and two Burns Marvin guitars, one in green and one in white..."
Bill

But is that quote from 1983, or, as it really must be, from no later than 1972 (which is when the two Marvins were stolen)?

Yes, that, of course, is a key question. Entertaining as this book is, I doubt it can be relied upon to be the last word in historical or chronological accuracy!

Bill
GoldenStreet

Full Real Name: Bill Hannay

Postby Moderne » Thu Oct 05, 2023 1:48 pm

GoldenStreet wrote:
JimN wrote:
Bill

Yes, that, of course, is a key question. Entertaining as this book is, I doubt it can be relied upon to be the last word in historical or chronological accuracy!

Bill

The quote from Hank about his guitar collection is clearly from the mid-sixties. In the same quote he talks about seeing Jeff Beck in The Yardbirds on Ready, Steady, Go! and describes the action of the DeArmond tone/volume pedal.

I would imagine that a lot of the corny jokes, photo captions etc. were written by Mike Read rather than Hank, Bruce and Brian themselves.
Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

Postby Gatwick1946 » Mon Nov 06, 2023 4:03 pm

One of the tour programmes (1980's?) had a large photo of Hank, with his guitar collection, which included several Burns, a 12 string among them1 I think this was before Hank moved to Perth?

Kindest regards,
Christopher
Gatwick1946

Full Real Name: Christopher Richard Hill

Next

Return to Burns