The Green Marvins

For anything specifically about Burns guitars

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: The Green Marvins

Postby JimN » Mon Nov 06, 2023 5:44 pm

Gatwick1946 wrote:One of the tour programmes (1980's?) had a large photo of Hank, with his guitar collection, which included several Burns, a 12 string among them1 I think this was before Hank moved to Perth?
Kindest regards, Christopher

That photo was from the early to mid 1980s (probably no later than 1984). It did not feature any Burns six-string guitars, though there were two 12-string electrics, plus the white Shadows Bass supplied to the group in 1964 for use by John Rostill.

Other instruments in the image included Hank's mid-60s Fender Bass VI, several Stratocasters (red and black), a Martin acoustic (00-model) and a Giffin custom guitar with Gibson mini-humbuckers (or an approximation thereof). Maybe another acoustic guitar or two as well. Plus the Roland Les-Paul-styled guitar synthesiser. But I haven't see that photo for a while.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Iain Purdon » Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:43 am

Thanks Jim. That takes me back to my original question in a way.

Do you know when the green Marvins were supplied? We know Hank hung on to his but did Baldwin/Burns take Bruce’s and John’s back at some stage? I know about the van theft but I can’t imagine John’s instrument would have been part of the haul because he was no longer working with them at that stage.
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby dave robinson » Tue Nov 07, 2023 12:25 pm

I'll dig out my old diaries and find the serial number of the green Marvin of Hank's that was stolen.
We were playing at Grindon Broadway Club in Sunderland and on the bill with us was a guitar vocalist with that very guitar. He was boasting that it belonged to Hank and I had heard that Hank had some guitars stolen, so I wrote down the serial number in the back of my diary, which I still have. He had left it on the stage on a stand.
When got home from the week's booking in the NE, I phoned Saville Artistes who managed The Shadows to tell them about the guitar, but they weren't interested.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby JimN » Tue Nov 07, 2023 3:38 pm

Iain Purdon wrote:Thanks Jim. That takes me back to my original question in a way.

Do you know when the green Marvins were supplied? We know Hank hung on to his but did Baldwin/Burns take Bruce’s and John’s back at some stage? I know about the van theft but I can’t imagine John’s instrument would have been part of the haul because he was no longer working with them at that stage.

The greenburst Marvins were used on-screen in the film "Rhythm And Greens", made during the summer of 1964. So they were probably received either at the same time as the "finished and evolved product" white examples (circa March/April 1964) or slightly later than them. But no later than summer 1964, for reasons supported by that primary historical evidence.
JimN

Postby Iain Purdon » Wed Nov 08, 2023 12:26 am

My apologies. When I asked whether Bruce’s and John’s instruments had been taken back at some stage, Clive answered that quite clearly further up the thread. Must pay more attention in class!
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby Keith Bateman » Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:13 am

JimN wrote:
Gatwick1946 wrote:One of the tour programmes (1980's?) had a large photo of Hank, with his guitar collection, which included several Burns, a 12 string among them1 I think this was before Hank moved to Perth?

That photo was from the early to mid 1980s (probably no later than 1984). It did not feature any Burns six-string guitars, though there were two 12-string electrics, plus the white Shadows Bass supplied to the group in 1964 for use by John Rostill.

Other instruments in the image included Hank's mid-60s Fender Bass VI, several Stratocasters (red and black), a Martin acoustic (00-model) and a Giffin custom guitar with Gibson mini-humbuckers (or an approximation thereof). Maybe another acoustic guitar or two as well. Plus the Roland Les-Paul-styled guitar synthesiser. But I haven't see that photo for a while.

Here's the photo of Hank's guitar collection (not very sharp I'm afraid).

guitar collection.jpg
Hank's Guitar collection
(30.28 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Keith Bateman

Full Real Name: Keith Bateman

Postby Keith Bateman » Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:31 am

Here's another, slightly sharper but split in two.

HMguitars1.jpg
Hank's guitars 1
(33.62 KiB) Not downloaded yet

HMguitars2.jpg
Hank's guitars 2
(34.64 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Keith Bateman

Postby JimN » Wed Nov 08, 2023 1:19 pm

Iain Purdon wrote:Thanks Jim. That takes me back to my original question in a way.

There has never been any report to the effect that either or both the two Shadows Basses were part of the minibus haul. They simply wouldn't have been there.
JimN

Postby hiffclall » Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:43 pm

Keith Bateman wrote:
JimN wrote:

Here's the photo of Hank's guitar collection (not very sharp I'm afraid).

guitar collection.jpg

I remember that programme from the gig in the Fairfield halls in Croydon that I went to. Was it to coincide with the moonlight shadows album release? 1986 - 87 ish? Programme is in my parents house so not to hand ....
hiffclall

Full Real Name: matthew moore

Postby Keith Bateman » Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:10 pm

Yes Matthew that's where it's from. I'd forgotten that!
Having found the programme I might try rescanning to get a clearer result.
Keith Bateman

PreviousNext

Return to Burns