Burns Marvin 40th Anniversary Edition

For anything specifically about Burns guitars

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Burns Marvin 40th Anniversary Edition

Postby shadphil » Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:15 pm

I have a white Burns Marvin being delivered tomorrow from Oasis Music. It has the original neck pocket that has been in discussions. it comes with the Burns case and all the paperwork etc.
I only thought about one last wk and gave Oasis a call over the weekend and they had one. maybe it was meant to be. Phil
shadphil

Full Real Name: phil denyer

Re: Burns Marvin 40th Anniversary Edition

Postby Shadbarmy1 » Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:34 am

My Shadow Special sends its regards! Enjoy in good health. My Special spends more time in the case than it should, as like my best watch, it's too nice to use!!! :roll: Or it could be that it is much more capable than I am if truth be known! I'm only just getting to grips with the opening bars of Apache!
Shadbarmy1

Full Real Name: Mike Teaman

Postby shadphil » Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:05 pm

Hi Mike thanks for that, i know what you mean. Ive just received my Burns Marvin from Oasis Music and the case and guitar look new theres not a mark on either im really pleased its superb. Many thanks to Howard and Alistair for there help. Phil
shadphil

Full Real Name: phil denyer

Postby sixstrandsofsteel » Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:19 pm

My first post having just bought a 40th anniversary Marvin from Richtone music - again it is in as new condition. Did these guitars never get played.
One question, how does the black plastic item work that fits at the rear of the bridge system please.
sixstrandsofsteel

Full Real Name: David brearley

Postby JimN » Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:55 pm

sixstrandsofsteel wrote:My first post having just bought a 40th anniversary Marvin from Richtone music - again it is in as new condition. Did these guitars never get played.
One question, how does the black plastic item work that fits at the rear of the bridge system please.

"...how does the black plastic item work that fits at the rear of the bridge system please....[?]"

It doesn't "do" anything. It is there simply to make the edge of the tremolo assembly aperture look tidy.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby sixstrandsofsteel » Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:06 am

Thanks for that. As this item is brand new on my guitar, what holds it in place. There seems to be no way to fix it in position.
sixstrandsofsteel

Postby bob t » Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:45 am

When I received my Burns Marvin Anniversary the black item had fallen off but had left marks where it was attached. I contacted Barry Gibson and he said it just needed glueing back in place and sent me a tube of glue to do the job.
Been in place ever since
bob t

Full Real Name: Robert Timmins

Postby sixstrandsofsteel » Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:29 am

Cheers Bob and Jim.
My black plastic piece was in a sealed plastic bag and in separate bags were the tremolo arm and tool kit. The tremolo arm had never been installed because I had to remove a burr on the thread before it would start. I think I will leave the plastic off. Thanks again. David.
sixstrandsofsteel

Postby neil2726 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:12 pm

I seem to recall reading that the black plastic trim was added on the original Marvins as Hank kept getting the sleeve buttons on his stage jackets caught under the trem plate!
neil2726

Full Real Name: Neil Sutton

Postby JimN » Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:10 pm

neil2726 wrote:I seem to recall reading that the black plastic trim was added on the original Marvins as Hank kept getting the sleeve buttons on his stage jackets caught under the trem plate!

That was the back plate (and the front buttons of the jacket). The original design for the backplate had a slot. This was quickly changed to six separate - but much smaller - holes!

The black plastic tremolo aperture surround is a purely cosmetic feature on the guitar. It looks better with it in place.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Next

Return to Burns