LG50 DRIFTER.

For any discussion specifically about Burns guitars

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: LG50 DRIFTER.

Postby aardvarkd » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:29 am

The LG50 Drifter relaease date has now 'drifted' a little into the first quarter of 2011. The LG 50 used on the 'Sabre Dance track' was the first prototype, the second (revised) version having been returned to the factory with modifications. With the vast number of post-copyright re-releases of 1958-59 Cliff and the Drifters tracks currently available the 'Antoria sound' is probably making something of a comeback, which might help the LG50 Drifter to gain a wider audience.
aardvarkd

Postby Geoff Alderton LH » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:21 am

Hi Peter, Let's hope you are right regarding the Antoria sound making a comeback.
I spoke to Mr G at Shadowmania regarding the LG50 and a left handed version. He said the project was going a little on the slow side, but to keep pestering him for a lefty. So all is not lost. Is it?
Regards Geoff.
Geoff Alderton LH

Postby Billyboygretsch » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:07 pm

I wonder if Burns will reissue the LG50 as a 60th Anniversary Shadows model. Or perhaps the Grimshaw ? I can't see a 60th Anniversary Shadows Marvin really working.
I liked the LG50
Billyboygretsch

Full Real Name: Bill Lovegrove

Postby dave robinson » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:34 am

My guess is that there wouldn't be enough interest to warrant the expence of building it.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Billyboygretsch » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:10 pm

I think you're probably correct Dave. You can't have a 60th Anniversary Burns. A 60th Anniversary Marvin would be too close to Marvin,Apache ,Dream with a different plate.
Billyboygretsch

Full Real Name: Bill Lovegrove

Postby JimN » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:48 pm

The Burns Marvin isn't due its sixtieth anniversary until 2024 (maybe 2023 at a pinch).
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby cockroach » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:32 pm

Surely any 60th Anniversary Burns would logically have to be Vibra Artist or Sonic reissue or tribute etc ?

IIRC, the LG 50 Drifter wasn't even a Burns model originally..it was primarily a Japanese Guyatone, which was copied in general design a couple of years later by Fenton Weill (after Jim Burns split with Henry Weill) and Vox ?

It was always only a tenuous Hank/Shads connection as far as it was concerned- presumably because Hank used the Antoria then he and Bruce and John R later started using Burns..

There were only the guitars made by Jim Burns in conjunction with Henry Weill 60 years ago...and any 60th anniversary Marvin reissue wouldn't make sense for about another 5-6 years, as JimN said..
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby RayL » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:23 am

cockroach wrote:Surely any 60th Anniversary Burns would logically have to be Vibra Artist or Sonic reissue or tribute etc ?

A straight re-issue of the Vibra Artist could only be a niche product, but suppose it was a 'Super Artist' with a 25 1/2" scale and larger body size?
As the owner of an Artist (see my avatar) I can tell you that it feels, well, 'miniature' and the 23 3/8 scale takes some getting used to.
A 'Super Artist' could have a lot more appeal.
Ray
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Postby Hank2k » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:48 am

The Eastwood LG50 is a great guitar ;)

https://eastwoodguitars.com/products/lg-50
Hank2k

Postby cockroach » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:40 pm

Hank2k wrote:The Eastwood LG50 is a great guitar ;)

https://eastwoodguitars.com/products/lg-50

Well, if anyone really wants an LG50 reissue- there you are! :D ...especially as there's probably little chance of a Burns reissue version.
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

PreviousNext

Return to Burns