LG50 DRIFTER.

For any discussion specifically about Burns guitars

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: LG50 DRIFTER.

Postby cockroach » Mon May 24, 2010 2:19 pm

As with many other brands, only some of a large range of models were often exported.

About 10 years ago, I saw a single cutaway three pickup version of the Solid Seven, branded Egmond, in a music shop in Tasmania, of all places! This is probably as far from Holland as you can get!

There were a lot of very weird Hofners, Hoyers and Teiscos and Guyatones etc which probably never made it to the UK for instance, whereas in other markets, we saw a lot of stuff never sold in the UK. - and I speak from checking guitars out and buying stuff here in Australia for 45years!
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby RayL » Wed May 26, 2010 6:29 pm

As it hasn't been mentioned so far, the Drifter LG50 can be heard on Barry's recent Local Heroes album. He uses it for Sabre Dance (and if it can be played at that speed, it must be a distinct improvement on those Guyatone/Antoria originals!). Both the disc and the booklet have pics of the instrument.

Ray
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Postby Geoff Alderton LH » Thu May 27, 2010 9:52 am

Hi Ray. What a great piece of news, next port of call has to be Leo's Den to get hold of a copy. Thank's again and regards Geoff Alderton.
Geoff Alderton LH

Postby Geoff Alderton LH » Fri May 28, 2010 3:47 pm

Hi all. As Ray points out quite a good acount of the Drifter LG50 on the CD wich I ordered yesterday and receved in todays post, well done Leo's Den.
The picture of the Drifter shows the guitar looking simillar to the original Antoria with some minor changes to the tailpiece, headstock and the pickups. The guitar, as Ray points out, is very obviously easier than the original to play. It also sounds good so I think Mr Gibson has done a cracking job with the demo.
The whole CD is, as per the previous Local Heroes CD's, is very well produced and a must for all guitar fans. I also got the Twangs for the Melody CD wich has thirty three tracks of instrumental greats from the sixtie's, again a must for guitar fans.
Thanks again Ray for the pointer to the CD.
Regards Geoff.
Geoff Alderton LH

Postby RayL » Fri May 28, 2010 7:47 pm

Hi Geoff

Agreed that Barry's new album is excellent. Nice touch that every guitar used on the album is a Burns.

On the Twang For The Melody the Burns influence continues. For The Triumphs' Husky Team I used my Burns Batwing for the higher lead parts and a Hayman 2020H for the lower lead parts (the Haymans were designed by Jim Burns). One of the strummed rhythm guitars was the Hayman (the other was a Vintage 12-string) and the clicky rhythm was also the Hayman. Oh, and Jules borrowed my Burns Bison Bass to record the bass part. Quite a lot of Burns! The Bison Bass was used again on Wipeout. (Lead and rhythm were done on my Alden TV Cruiser DLX, so no Burns connection there). If you allow Shergold as a 'Burns-family' guitar, then It's my Shergold rhythm guitar on both of the Secrets tracks.

Ray
RayL

Postby Geoff Alderton LH » Mon May 31, 2010 10:49 am

Hi Ray, What a great compilation, great sounds and some great playing on all the tracks. I droped the wife off at the supermarket, parked up, put the CD on in the car, and gave it a bit of volume, satback and enjoyed.I was on track thirty three as she arrived back at the car.
Regards Geoff.
Geoff Alderton LH

Postby RayL » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:47 am

The Burns website has been updated and the LG50 Drifter is now shown in the Club section, but with the proviso
PLEASE NOTE: THIS GUITAR IS NOT AVAAILABLE (sic) UNTIL NOVEMBER 2010

The info that comes with it says

Many companies produced a similar guitar to this model in the late fifties to early sixties, most famously were Guyatone and Antoria and Burns Weill. Our Drifter LG 50 is a close replica of the guitar as used by Hank Marvin in the late fifties before he discovered Fender® and Burns® Guitars.

# Basswood body
# Figured maple top
# Maple neck with Rosewood fingerboard
# 24 & three quarters scale
# 2 x Tri-Sonic® style pickups
# 1 x Master volume
# 1 x Master tone
# 3 way pickup selector switch

Ray
RayL

Postby Geoff Alderton LH » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:55 pm

Hi Ray. Great bit of news. Had a look at it on the Burns site and it looks good. It will be up to the Burns usual high build quality so I think a phone call, to Mr Gibson, on monday will be in order. Thank you for the update.
Regards Geoff.
Geoff Alderton LH

Postby Geoff Alderton LH » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:09 pm

Hi all. Unfortunatley no lefties available in November due to lack of interest in a left handed version of the LG 50 Drifter.
That is really disappointing.
Regards Geoff.
Geoff Alderton LH

Postby mgeek » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:54 pm

Know this is an old thread so excuse the bump...

I was pretty bemused when I first heard of this reissue. Being as the 'Burns-Weill' Fenton was so closely inspired by this guitar, wouldn't it have made more sense for Burns to reissue that instead- or at least as well?

Love the look of those early Burns-Weills, but the ones I've seen have all been really rather shonky, so a rationalised and well made reissue would be particularly apt.
Last edited by mgeek on Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mgeek

Full Real Name: will thompson

PreviousNext

Return to Burns