12-string Rez-o-Tube tremolo costs like Double Six guitar!!?

For anything specifically about Burns guitars

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: 12-string Rez-o-Tube tremolo costs like Double Six guitar!!?

Postby JimN » Thu May 13, 2010 12:36 pm

Bill Bowley wrote:Ray,

Interesting that you bring the BALDWIN 712 up as an alternative -I happen to have two 712 necks (complete with Van Ghents) that were left over at the BALDWIN USA guitar assembly plant when they shut down way back when -I must do something with them soon I guess. And no, Cockroach, I won't send one to you as a gift! ;)

Ecca might still be on the lookout for one of those for his abortive solid-12 project of a couple of years back.

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby cockroach » Thu May 13, 2010 2:41 pm

Bill,

OK- how much for one of your two 12 string necks- plus postage to Adelaide?! I was only joking about a free gift!!

Regarding the Burns 700 series- if these were Italian built, I had a guitar called an Elite back in the 60's which was very similar- but it was only average with pickups which were also nothing to write home about- I think I traded it at a pawnshop for an Aria Diamond electric 12 string, which then was later traded for a Burns Vibra Artiste!

The Jap Strat 12 strings looked a nice guitar too, but as Bojan said, they are no longer made...

The great Ricky 12 strings mostly have ridiculously narrow necks, and are of course very expensive.
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby George Geddes » Thu May 13, 2010 2:56 pm

The Yamaha Pacifica 12-string is a good buy if your budget is limited.

George
George Geddes

Full Real Name: George Geddes

Postby Bojan » Thu May 13, 2010 4:22 pm

cockroach wrote: . . .The great Ricky 12 strings mostly have ridiculously narrow necks, and are of course very expensive . . .

I thought so too John, but actually they are not so expensive. Price is about the same as the Burns Apache Double Six, and as we all agree, there can be no comparison in terms of sound, vibe, image, and sheer desirability!!! :D :D

Check this out, for example: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %26otn%3D2

Bojan
Bojan

Full Real Name: Bojan Drndic

Postby Bojan » Thu May 13, 2010 4:24 pm

JimN wrote:Ecca might still be on the lookout for one of those for his abortive solid-12 project of a couple of years back.

JN

Presumably you are referring to the "Cakeocaster XII" ?! :lol:
Bojan

Full Real Name: Bojan Drndic

Postby Bill Bowley » Sat May 15, 2010 2:21 pm

A 'Bison' 12 string is another option -someone had this one made up a while ago, can't remember who at the moment.......... :roll:
Bill Bowley

Postby Graylion » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:12 pm

I would love a Ricky 12 for the sound but there is a significant and 'fatal' difference between that and the D-6 for me. It's the narrowness of the Ricky top nut. The Burns has a 12-string width neck and when set up properly (like I did with mine) it can be the lightest action 12-string you'll ever play! Mine's the lightest in 48 years of playing! There have been a few Burns 'Semi' 12's, like the photo, on eBay over the last couple of years - or maybe it's the same one!

The other thing - what IS the point of a trem on a 12-string? The finish on the Apache looks superb and the extra chromework of the bridge makes it look even better, but the increased cost would take some justifying! :o

'Cockroach' - "Burns Vibra Artiste"? Good for you mate! ;) That's how I always spell it, as per my 1962 Burns Catalogue! I still have mine - in fact I still have all the guitars I ever bought (18 I think!) except for one - a 12-string Yamaha Pacifica I bought new around 2001 for £199. It had a teeny 6-string top nut width so I had fret buzz when trying first position chords so I sold it on for £299! It was brand new and boxed and a beautiful translucent Denim Blue with gold hardware.
I would strongly recommend the Club D-6 for anyone who want a sold 12
Cheers, Lionel
Graylion

Postby Nick Allan » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:34 pm

Lionel,

Oddly enough, I do actually use the tremolo on my custom doublesix when picking some lead parts out with it. I do both rythm and lead at different times, and I use finger style quite a lot. It makes the guitar pretty versatile for a twelve string and adds a great sound to the mix.

All the best,

Nick.
Nick Allan

Postby Phil from Melbourne » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:46 am

Hi there,

Recently bought a new Chinese produced Double-Six from the Burns' agent in New Zealand for a little under 600 pounds. It is a far superior instrument to the early Korean version I had about 10 years ago and the tuning stability is amazing. (Aided by the brass nut and newly designed bridge no doubt.) With the addition of a Burns case, strap and tool kit, this is tremendous value and I really did not see any sense whatsoever in spending that amount again just for a rezo-tune trem unit and and few other enhancements. Actually, as far as I'm concerned, I can not see much value in having a trem unit on a 12 string guitar!?

Even the Burns London logo is now an imprint and not just painted on, so considerable progress has been made. Thoroughly recommend the latest Double Six offering from China via Burns London - and indeed the NZ distributer! Nice guy and great communicater.

Cheers

Philip
Phil from Melbourne

Previous

Return to Burns