12-string Rez-o-Tube tremolo costs like Double Six guitar!!?

For anything specifically about Burns guitars

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

12-string Rez-o-Tube tremolo costs like Double Six guitar!!?

Postby Bojan » Sat May 08, 2010 11:07 pm

The price difference between the Double Six Apache Special (£1393.00) and the Club Series Double Six (£699.00) is £694.00 GBP pounds! In the catalogue Barry Gibson sent me it says that the Double Six Apache Special has "all the same features as the standard Double Six except fitted with the 12-string Rez-o-Tube tremolo system." So, it turns out that the 12-string Rez-o-Tube tremolo system alone costs £694.00 GBP pounds, the price of another Club Series Double Six!

I find this rather hard to believe, so I wrote to Barry and I look forward to his response . . .
Last edited by Bojan on Mon May 10, 2010 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bojan

Full Real Name: Bojan Drndic

Re: 12-string Rez-o-Tube tremolo costs like Double Six guitar!!?

Postby Bojan » Mon May 10, 2010 11:37 am

Here is Barry's response:

"The set up cost to make a small run limited edition guitars such as the Double six Apache 12 string is probably more than the extra cost.

Also this guitar will come with a signed certificate from Burns also an inlay on the 12th fret. Burns original gearbox truss rod system. Custom Elite control knobs and switch tip.

These extra items were not listed in the brochure by mistake.

Also the 12 string Rez-o-tube system had to re-designed to fit 12 string
s
."

So, there you have it. Any comments?
Bojan

Postby JimN » Mon May 10, 2010 2:28 pm

Bojan wrote:Any comments?

The trouble is, if you want the guitar, that's the price.

At least, that's the RRP. Many guitar dealers will sell it cheaper - probably less than £1000 after the initial flurry has died down.

Prices are simply not set by reference to production costs (though they're a factor). Comparing the price of an original Burns 12 (especially the ultra-rare examples with tremolo) or a Rickenbacker or hockey stick Fender is instructive, I suggest.

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Bojan » Mon May 10, 2010 7:49 pm

You are right of course, Jim, and I never meant to argue the price, but as a potential buyer I wanted to know why this guitar was twice as expensive as a model that is exactly the same except for the tremolo (which, as far as I'm concerned really looks good but is practically useless on a 12-string, at least the way I play it). I was hoping that there were some more substantial differences not listed in the brochure that would justify such a significant price difference. I was expecting, at least, that the Apache Double Six was made from alder, not basswood, but it is not. Barry's (prompt, as always) response has helped me because now I know that I do not want the Apache Double Six. However, I do have my sights set on the Club Series Double Six, which now, more than ever, seems like a really good bargain. :)

Bojan
Bojan

Postby Bill Bowley » Wed May 12, 2010 12:46 pm

.......or you could buy a Fender Strat XII? ;)
Bill Bowley

Postby Bojan » Wed May 12, 2010 9:20 pm

Hm, nice . . . too bad it's been discontinued :(
Bojan

Postby JimN » Wed May 12, 2010 10:16 pm

I have a sunburst 1966 Fender Electric XII, bought s/h at Frank Hessy's shop in Liverpool for just £170 in 1979. It's a great guitar and I see no reason to search for another, but if I were on the lookout for one, then perhaps I'd make a choice from:

A. http://tinyurl.com/36y9py3

I had a 12-string from this maker back in the sixties - it was fantastic (especially for the money)

B. http://www.bem-music.com/list.pl?id=105575

This has the look of the most famous 12-string electric about it (far from perfect, but OK)

C. http://www.hartnollguitars.co.uk/products.asp?id=5561

That one looks phenomenal at the money!

D. http://tinyurl.com/37ur6mh

If you want the best 12-string electric and are determined to spend in four (sterling) figures!

With 12-strings, as far as I'm concerned, there's only one top name for electrics (Rickenbacker) and acoustics (Guild - USA).

I'd still love a Guild F512, if only the domestic politics could be so arranged(!).

HTH,

JN
Last edited by JimN on Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Bojan » Thu May 13, 2010 3:17 am

Now that you mention it Jim, there are lots of Rickenbacker 330/12 guitars on ebay going for less than the price of the Apache Double Six !!!!

For example: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %26otn%3D2
Bojan

Postby RayL » Thu May 13, 2010 8:15 am

Also to be found on ebay sometimes are these Burns-family 12 strings

Baldwin 712T.jpg
(19.29 KiB) Downloaded 12107 times

The 700 series were given rather a disparaging description in The Burns Book

"must rank as the most 'characterless' of all Burns or Baldwin instruments, all features being conventional to the point of boredom!"

Nevertheless, the price of the 700 series has been creeping up over the years (£500 or £600 is not uncommon) and excellent guitar players have used them for recording.

The build quality is good and the pickups (reputedly by Re-an of Erith in Kent, who later made the Hayman and Shergold humbucking pickups), give a very pleasant jangle.

Ray L
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Postby Bill Bowley » Thu May 13, 2010 12:14 pm

Ray,

Interesting that you bring the BALDWIN 712 up as an alternative -I happen to have two 712 necks (complete with Van Ghents) that were left over at the BALDWIN USA guitar assembly plant when they shut down way back when -I must do something with them soon I guess. And no, Cockroach, I won't send one to you as a gift! ;)
Bill Bowley

Next

Return to Burns