Burns Cobra gets award

For anything specifically about Burns guitars

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Burns Cobra gets award

Postby Strummer » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:53 pm

Hi guys,

Just read your posts on the Burns Cobra. In my view a really fine guitar for the money. I bought the Burns Marvin 1964 and a Memphis Tanglewood Semi before I bought the Cobra. I then got a Burns Apache.

I rate the cobra for its high output Tri-sonics and the "Fender look". However, the Cobra is extremely comfortable to play, in my opinion, and seems to be 'easy' to deal with. Not too heavy and definitely a very attractive looking guitar as well. Yes, well worth the money, so much so, i would have to say it could fetch a higher price for what you get for your money.
Strummer

Postby RUSSET » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:37 am

I bought a Burns Cobra just after they were first issued. It was the White one with Mint scratchplate & cost me £199. A great looking guitar for a bargain price. Sadly I found the actual instrument did not live up to it's beautiful looks. Yes, It's a budget guitar at a budget price, but so are the Squier Classic Vibe series, & they really are proper playable guitars. I found the frets & their finish really poor; there was a lot of fret buzz at several places along the board. The Trem system was pretty nasty & did not work in a smooth manner, & did not return to pitch well. The Tri-sonic pickups installed in it were certainly not of the same quality we have been used to from British made Burns, & sounded rather dull. In the end I actually gave it away, having given up on it. My Squier Classic Vibe series '60s 'Simon Neil - Biffy Clyro' Strat, at £260 was, however, a joy to play straight from the box, & although I did upgrade the cheap thin trem block to a fat steel one, there is nothing else I could fault it for. Shame about the Cobra, as it does look good & with a bit more manufacturing care it could have been a really nice guitar, even if it had to cost a little more.

Tony.
RUSSET

Postby Strummer » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:27 pm

Hi,

Just thought I would come back and answer you in regard to the Burns Cobra. You may have a "dodgy" model, mine is quite comfy in that most of the finish is good and the guitar itself is extremely comfortable to play, easy even.

It is Fiesta Red and is one handsome looking beast. Plus the Tri-sonic pups really give it that Wham factor. Really powerful, and, in a way that the Squire cannot get anywhere near to.

The tremolo is super-easy to use too. The controls and electrics are all superb, so, I can only judge on my model which I HIGHLY recommend.

lastly, i have owned a quality model Squire by fender Stratocaster; I gave it away to my cousin. A really nice three tone Sunburst and such an easy playing guitar, with, superb finish, frets, wood, paint etc. But, nowhere near as powerful as the Cobra. I now own a Fiesta Red Fender Stratocaster MIM Classic Series. This is fitted out with fender Single coil Vintage pups. Nice, but I prefer all my Burns guitars to a Fender. (They are, Burns Cobra, Burns Marvin, Burns Apache.)

I guess it is all down to personal preferences really!

Strummer
Strummer

Postby Strummer » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:10 pm

Hi all,

Just an update on my last post re Burns and fender guitars. I exchanged my MIM Fender Srat for a Japanese (96/97) "Real" Fiesta Red Hank B Marvin signed Fender Strat, this came complete with 9a) Tweed case and, (b) an HBM Mute tremolo as well as the standard Tremeolo. So, something like £900 - £1000 worth of kit for £430? Can't be bad can it?
P.S. The new Strat is a real cracker, I can get those 'Hank' sounds now.

Luvin it!
Strummer

Postby RUSSET » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:37 pm

Hi Arthur,
Glad you like the new Jap Strat. My main guitar is a '90s made Jap Marvin Signature model, which I upgraded with Fender Custom Shop '54 pickups & Gold hardware. It's a really well made instrument with an Ash body, & maybe a little on the heavy side. It's Fiesta Red colour is the closest I've seen to the original 'Pink' Strats we used to get in the '60s & I wouldn't swap it for the world. It goes to every gig with me.

Tony.
RUSSET

Postby Strummer » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:25 pm

RUSSET wrote:Hi Arthur,
Glad you like the new Jap Strat. My main guitar is a '90s made Jap Marvin Signature model, which I upgraded with Fender Custom Shop '54 pickups & Gold hardware. It's a really well made instrument with an Ash body, & maybe a little on the heavy side. It's Fiesta Red colour is the closest I've seen to the original 'Pink' Strats we used to get in the '60s & I wouldn't swap it for the world. It goes to every gig with me.

Tony.

Hi Tony

I feel the same about mine. It has a Maple neck and fingerboard, but, chrome hardware and i was thinking of upgrading to gold. I might just get some Fender custom '54 pickups as well. The colou, as far as I can tell, is about as close to HBM's that I have seen recently. The MIM Fender Strat that i bought and exchanged for the Japanese Signature Strat was supposed to be Fiesta Red (It was the same colour as my Burns Cobra) but they were both darker than the Jap Strat which is far more "pinkish".

I love it, as well as my three Burns guitars. All feel good to play. Nice and easy as it were. Lol!

Arthur
Strummer

Previous

Return to Burns