Burns Shadows Custom

For anything specifically about Burns guitars

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Burns Shadows Custom

Postby stephen » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:43 pm

Recently I was fortunate in acquiring an un-played, Burns Shadows Custom. No0344.

Although I'm familiar with setting up Fender guitars, I wondered if anyone could give me a bit of advice on the Burns.

First of all, the dual-action truss-rod. To put MORE relief into the neck, with the back of the guitar facing you, do you turn the key ANTI-CLOCKWISE (to the left) or CLOCKWISE (to the right)?

Secondly, any advice on how to adjust the 'creaking' out of the trem. arm?

Many thanks,
Stephen.
stephen

Re: Burns Shadows Custom

Postby David Martin » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:56 pm

I've posted the official Burns guide as a "sticky" at the top of this board... that covers the business trem, bridge and trussrod adjustments...

As to your "creak", refer to the diagram just under the Rez O Tube System label. Lubricate the washers under the "adjuster for arm stiffness" in situ with the tiniest drop of sewing machine oil then adjust to suit, then check the "adjuster for arm angle" which is where I suspect your trouble lies. This has to be appallingly tight to prevent creaking on the slippy gold plated versions, but not tight enough to strip the thread... you have been warned! :o

Let us know how you get on...
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby David Martin » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:07 pm

p.s. Does the neck really need adjustment? Always best to leave "well" alone... ;)
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Postby stephen » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:10 pm

Thanks David. I had wondered about lubricating those washers, so i'll give it a try.

Regarding the truss-rod adjuster. I do have the Burns Set-Up guide. Just unsure as to which way adjusts in MORE relief, as I'm unfamiliar with the 'gear-box' style adjuster, so I'd still appreciate an answer on that one, as to whether its ANTI-CLOCKWISE or CLOCKWISE.

The set-up guide uses the words 'bow' & 'hump', yet some people refer to a neck that is too straight as having a 'backward bow' and one that has too much relief as having a 'forward bow'!

I just want to know which way to turn the adjuster to give MORE relief.

Thanks,
Stephen.
stephen

Postby David Martin » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:38 pm

My interpretation is that more relief is the "hump" procedure...

Bear in mind that this is much more subtle than a Fender which has no gearing, so a one quarter turn at a time is the rule for Brand F... whereas the Burns can cope with several turns without producing too much action... but does your guitar need it?
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Postby stephen » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:46 pm

David,

I followed your instructions & lubricated the washer area on the arm with a small amount of gun oil and it seems to have immediately done the trick............no more squeaks!

You were also correct regarding the direction of adjustment for the truss rod. Barry Gibson kindly returned a call that I'd made some time earlier and confirmed that, to loosen the rod in order to gain more relief, the adjuster is turned in a clockwise direction. This is completely opposite to the majority of guitars, as a clockwise turn straightens the rod and adjusts out any relief, hence my enquiry.

Thanks again & great site by the way!

Stephen.
stephen

Return to Burns