Burns Pick Ups into A Strat ?

For anything specifically about Burns guitars

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Burns Pick Ups into A Strat ?

Postby JimN » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:44 am

Hi, Derek,

The guitar sound on The Magical Mrs Clamps - especially on the chorus played on the lowest strings - is pure Burns Marvin (original model). The main component is not the pickups, which, as others have said, aren't all that different from Fender pickups.The main contributors to that particular sound are:

(a) the Rez-O-Tube tailpiece, which imparts a depth on the lower strings which a Stratocaster simply cannot match, and

(b) medium gauge guitar strings - almost certainly Gibson Sonomatics, gauged at 13 / 17 / 26(w) / 36 / 46 / 56.

My 1965 Marvin (bought s/h in 1972) nails that and similar recordings (eg, the bass string middle eight on the instro version of Friends) absolutely effortlessly (fitted with appropriate strings). I have several Stratocasters, including two USA models, and I don't think I'd ever be able to get that "Burns low string" sound from any of them. The strings simply ring differently.

Mind you, the recent flurry of reissue Marvins don't quite catch that original Burns sound. This difference has been put down to the newer Marvins (Asian-built models) being voiced more like Fenders (which I assume means that the pickups are underwound as compared to the originals or to those on UK-built Burns Legends).

HTH,

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby OLDEREK » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:48 am

Thanks everone for your replys, the reason I asked this question is, I was offered a set and wondered if I could get that deep Burns sound just by fitting them into a Strat..........So now I know the answer.............Cheers :D :D
OLDEREK

Postby David Martin » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:44 am

JimN wrote:Mind you, the recent flurry of reissue Marvins don't quite catch that original Burns sound. This difference has been put down to the newer Marvins (Asian-built models) being voiced more like Fenders (which I assume means that the pickups are underwound as compared to the originals or to those on UK-built Burns Legends).

HTH,

JN

Generally speaking, I bow to Jim's knowledge, but on this one I disagree... the reissue Marvins are absolutely no different to the original pickups or the Legend. How do I know? I have had a Legend, I currently own the third Asian reissue brought into the UK, and I also have a set of original '60s Marvin pickups and I've done all the swaps to see what difference it makes... and the answer is nothing!! The source of the sound Jim notes is a '64, or thereabouts top boost AC30 (full bass - 2/3 treble), with a DeArmond pedal permanently in line.

You can get very close with the CC1/2, Heritage etc without the DeArmond, and almost as close with a Fender Blues Junior. And, controversially, you can get very close using these setups with a Strat on - variously - neck or for some tunes, neck and middle together...

p.s. The pickups are for sale!! :twisted:
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby Pierre TEODORI » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:33 pm

Hi,

I agree it's sometimes very difficult to know if this is a Strat which was used or a Burns, and with special adjustments it is possible to get almost the same sound with one or another of these guitars. Nevertheless by using the same amplifier and adjustments, I think each one of these two guitars has its own sound,at least this is my opinion.

Regards
Pierre
Pierre TEODORI

Previous

Return to Burns