Burns Pick Ups into A Strat ?

For anything specifically about Burns guitars

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Burns Pick Ups into A Strat ?

Postby OLDEREK » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:42 pm

Come on then help out on this one, is it possible to fit the pick ups from a Burns guitar into a Stratocaster, and if you can, would it sound like a Burns or a Fender, the reason for this question is , I like the sound from the early Burns but I don't like playing them.................Over to you.......... :D
OLDEREK

Re: Burns Pick Ups into A Strat ?

Postby dave robinson » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:00 pm

Derek, the Burns pickups are virtually Strat copies. Obviously there will be differences in impedience which can affect the sound as different set's vary - but that's what they are. I once tried a set of Kinmans on my Marquee back in 1999 and it was an improvement, as were the Seymour Duncan Alnico Pro IIs on the same instrument. :idea:
What particular sound is it that you like from the Burns?
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby OLDEREK » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:53 pm

Dave.........The tune starts with " Plays that thing real pretty" spoken.......It has a very deep sound to the guitar........You will most likely tell me it's a Strat !! :D
OLDEREK

Postby Pierre TEODORI » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:19 pm

Hi Derek,

"The magical Mrs Clamps" I love the sound and playing of Hank on this tune!

Best regards

Pierre
Pierre TEODORI

Postby dave robinson » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:33 pm

Sorry guys but to me it's throwaway, the best part about that tune is the banjo . . . . . :lol:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby dave robinson » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:57 pm

. . . . . . But you can get the sound of Hank's guitar that we hear on this track by playing a Strat or indeed a Burns - through the Brilliant channel of the AC30 or AC15, with the bass and treble controls well up. The Vox DA5 / Valvetronix 15/30 or 50 as well as the 60 & 120watt versions of the same amp and the other similar new Vox variants will give you this tone, there's quite a bit of natural compression in there. The good news is that you don't need an echo unit either. ;)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby OLDEREK » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:21 pm

Pierre TEODORI wrote:Hi Derek,

"The magical Mrs Clamps" I love the sound and playing of Hank on this tune!

Best regards

Pierre

Hi Pierre..........I remember reading it was the favourite Burns sound of the late Adrian Bartholomew of `The Shadows Are Here` fame which is part Shadowmusic as per the heading on this page........Thanks for the title to that tune, I must now make a note of it.....Cheers.... :D
OLDEREK

Postby OLDEREK » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:26 pm

dave robinson wrote: . . . . . . But you can get the sound of Hank's guitar that we hear on this track by playing a Strat or indeed a Burns - through the Brilliant channel of the AC30 or AC15, with the bass and treble controls well up. The Vox DA5 / Valvetronix 15/30 or 50 as well as the 60 & 120watt versions of the same amp and the other similar new Vox variants will give you this tone, there's quite a bit of natural compression in there. The good news is that you don't need an echo unit either. ;)

Dave maybe it's because I have no Vox amps, but I will have a go with my tone controls, I never ever change them, my amp is the same as I set it up in 2004........It's a Blonde Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Limited Edition with a Jenson Speaker..........Used every day, but in need of a service !! :D :D
OLDEREK

Postby dave robinson » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:38 pm

That's the problem Derek, I too have a Fender amp although mine is the Blues DeVille, but it can never sound like a Vox as it has totally different components.
The sound that you are describing is pure Vox - you need a Vox if that's the sound that you like. The good news is that you can buy the DA-5, DA-10 or DA-20 or one of the Valvetronix for very little outlay compared with the price of an AC15 or 30. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby OLDEREK » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:10 pm

Hi I have just moved this thread into the Burns Guitar section, I would still like to get a answer to my question on message one, maybe a Burns Player can give me the answer.........Cheers :D
OLDEREK

Next

Return to Burns