Burns Double Six

For anything specifically about Burns guitars

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Burns Double Six

Postby Nick Allan » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:59 pm

Hi Bojan,

I think the answer is quality and a tremolo (if you want it) plus a scroll head if you like it. I'm not knocking the club version (provided it is the newer Chinese made, because the old Korean ones were not as good by all accaonts), which are good for the money, but the new 12 strings, if as I expect , are as good as the Apache they will be indistinguishable from the custom made ones - and I have both- at at least twice the price of the Chinese.

Even with Burns, all of whose guitars now seem to be well made, you get what you pay for in my view.Just read the comments of the members on here about the Apache ( presumably they are still on the old forum).

All the best, Nick.
Nick Allan

Postby Nick Allan » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:06 pm

Adding to my post above, just look at post 9 in "long live Burns".

Regards, Nick.
Nick Allan

Postby Bojan » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:28 pm

I understand what you're saying Nick. I have an Apache (with a maple fingerboard) and it is truly a masterpiece! I have not seen the specs for the Apache 12-string, so I cannot say anything about its quality, in fact it is not even featured on the Burns website. But what I am saying -- and this is my own personal view, with which you don't have to agree -- is that if both Burns 12-strings are built in China, and if the difference is only a tremolo (which is what you need least on a 12-string) and a scroll head. If that alone is what you pay so much more for, then that is ridiculous. So, I ask you again, what is it that you get in the Apache 12-string that is worth paying £1,050 more than a 12-string Club version? I would really like to know, not because I am looking to pick an argument, but because I am genuinely interested in buying one of the two Burns 12-strings.
Bojan

Full Real Name: Bojan Drndic

Postby flingelbunt » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:01 pm

Just to add to this discussion, I have a Korean Club Series greenburst 12 string which I played regularly with my Shadows tribute band, 'Bungleflint'. The numbers played were 'My Grandfathers Clock', 'On the Beach', and on occasion for a couple of other vocals. The quality of the finish of this guitar is amazing! The neck stays absolutely straight and stays in tune even after a couple of months in its case. I use 10-46's on the guitar, and the 'chime' of the 12 string is awesome! BarryGibson sent me some updated Tri-Sonic pickups used on the elite series, which I fitted and though there was a slight improvement in tone, certainly not a vast difference.
The only reason I would consider the dearer version (if I had the money!), would be for it's cosmetically more accurate look of the original.

Maurice
Lord Flingel of Buntshire! ;)
flingelbunt

Postby Nick Allan » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:13 pm

Hi Bojan,

I would not dream of taking your comments the wrong way, and I think you are asking all the right questions. All I can say is if you can, compare a custom Doublesix with the Club version and you can make up your own mind about the difference in feel and quality. I have Burns of all three types, Custom,elite and club and I can feel the difference between the first two (very close if not indistinguishable) and the third.

That is not to say there is anything wrong with the club versions, they are (particularly now) very good.

I think it is a matter of direct comparison and whether you personally think it is worth it. Obviously I do, but you may disagree.

The new versions will not be on the site yet, I got the information direct from Barry and, as I said, he is thinking about it depending on whether there is sufficient interest. Obviously to keep the price down he needs to be confident they will sell in sufficient numbers.

I do think, however, that the quality will equal the Apache. Mine also has a maple fingerboard by the way.

All the best, Nick.
Nick Allan

Postby Bojan » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:36 pm

Thanks Nick, I would love to see a custom Double-six . . . can you post some pictures please? I have only seen the Club model that's featured on the Burns website.

I realize suddenly that my question about difference in the guitars is silly -- it's the same difference that makes a custom shop Strat worth three or four times more than a Mexican Strat, or a Squier! It's as simple as that. And it's one feeling owning a Mexican Strat, but it's quite something else owning a custom shop !!! You get what you pay for. I hope Barry does decide to start making the Apache Double Six. I could be seriously interested.

Is your Apache red or white?
Last edited by Bojan on Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bojan

Full Real Name: Bojan Drndic

Postby BrianD » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:57 pm

Try going to http://www.berkshireshadows.org/forums/ ... m&album=62

These are photos of my Custom Shop Double 6 which Barry built for me in '97. It was a fantastic guitar but when i stopped gigging I found I played it very rarely so reluctantly sold it two years ago. It went to a new home in Germany as far as I recall. I did try one of the Marquee Series Double 6s some seven years ago but it wasn't a patch on the Custom Shop one and I got rid of it in a few weeks. The depth of finish, the tone, the feel of the neck all were very different between the two levels of the guitar. It really was a case of "you get what you paid for". In '97 the custom shop one cost me around £1850 whereas the Marquee was around £395.

Brian
BrianD

Full Real Name: Brian Dandridge

Postby JimN » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:04 pm

Nick Allan wrote:I think the answer is quality and a tremolo (if you want it) plus a scroll head if you like it.

If this is the 12-string guitar that Hank is playing on the current tour, I seem to recall that it had a flat headstock, like the original sixties UK model or the current "Club Series" version.

The UK version of the last decade or so has had the scroll headstock, but apparently not this new "Apache" version. At first, I assumed it was Hank's original greenburst Double Six from the mid-sixties. But then I saw the rectangular inlay at the twelfth fret and realised it had to be a different instrument.

Oddly. all the videos on YouTube have now disappeared...

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby JimN » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:07 pm

BrianD wrote:Try going to http://www.berkshireshadows.org/forums/ ... m&album=62
These are photos of my [Burns guitar collection]
Brian

Hi, Brian,

I encountered your Burns Legend (with built-in Roland synth pickup) a week or two back. I recognised it as your (ex) guitar immediately!

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby BrianD » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:15 pm

Jim

Thanks for the news of my old Legend. Was it still with the guy I sold it to, do you know?

Brian
BrianD

Full Real Name: Brian Dandridge

PreviousNext

Return to Burns