Remember when..

For anything specifically about Burns guitars

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Remember when..

Postby Derek Mowbray » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:45 pm

Back to The Honeycombs I remember reading a story in one of the music papers about 1965 that rhythm guitarist Martin Murray was dragged offstage and broke his leg.I don`t know if this was the reason why he was replaced but he did play again in the Honeycombs years later but left again
Last edited by Derek Mowbray on Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Derek Mowbray

Full Real Name: Derek Mowbray

Postby Bill Bowley » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:57 am

Derek,

Which one was he, the one with glasses perhaps?

Regards ;)
Bill Bowley

Postby Bill Bowley » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:00 pm

George Geddes wrote:There was at least one Shads appearance where the nameplates had black tape over them...

George

George,

That's interesting, trust BBC to do things like that! No wonder there were 'pirate radio' and other rebelling going on back then, must have been a rather restrictive era for the up and coming artists. ;)
Bill Bowley

Postby RayL » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:24 am

Bill Bowley wrote:Derek,

Which one was he, the one with glasses perhaps?

Regards ;)

Martin Murray was indeed the one with the glasses. When the reformed Honeycombs played for the big Joe Meek Concert in 2007, he was the only original member (though he left soon after). I could get a still from my master video recording if anyone's interested. No Burns guitars on that occasion, I'm afraid.

Ray
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Postby mgeek » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:21 pm

Enjoying the sixties Aussie chat in this thread...

Got lots of time for the groups from back then: Master's Apprentices, Black Diamonds, Bobby and Laurie etc. Even the cheesy looking pop acts kicked ass!

Reminded me as well that now I've got hold of the Vista Sonic I've been after for years, next 'dream guitar' on the list is a Maton Fyrbyrd

mmm

http://www.fetishguitars.com/html/misc/ ... rbyrd.html

WANT!
mgeek

Full Real Name: will thompson

Postby Bill Bowley » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:29 am

Will,

Firebirds were something of an 'aquired taste' as I saw it (not for me though!), I suppose like a lot of guitars they were 'ahead of their time' and 'antiquated' aa well! (old type switches etc). But, a very popular guitar at about half the price of a Strat back then. Here's a 'lesser' model Firebird that was on EBay not too long ago, went fot about $250AUd if I remember rightly... ;)
Attachments
Firebird.jpg
(38.95 KiB) Downloaded 8160 times
Bill Bowley

Postby Bill Bowley » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:33 am

Ray,

Many thanks for the info on 'Mr Murray'! I for one would be interested in what info you have on them.

On another matter, I'm beginning to think that this thread has wandered off the BURNS track somewhat, perhaps the 'regulators might like to move it to an appropriate section? ;)
Bill Bowley

Postby cockroach » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:30 pm

Speaking from experience, and being a teenager who wanted to rock hard at that time (no Shadows, but the Kinks, Who, Cream, Hendrix sounds etc)the problem with a lot of guitars back then ('60's) was the pickups...

Both Matons and Hofners didn't cut it for me, but the Burns Tri Sonics were up there with Fender pickups for power and tone.

The Matons sounded week, thin and sharp, and the Hofners sounded like banjos...even some of the early Jap guitars had more guts- my mate's ghastly early model Teisco solid used for rhythm blew my Club 40 (the lead guitar) away!

It wasn't until about 1969/70 that I was earning enough that secondhand Gibson, Fender or Gretsch models became affordable...an ES 125TDC, an Esquire, and an Anniversary in a period of about two years in fact.

See Bill? I got a Burns reference in, which justifies using this thread!
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby Bill Bowley » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:15 am

'Roach,

Good one mate, so I guess we are 'still batting' here! ;)
Bill Bowley

Postby mgeek » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:31 pm

Hi Bill-

that's a Maton Flamingo, I believe...two pickups, imported jap trem, but still almost as cool as the Fyrbyrd in my opinion

I was bidding on one here in the UK a couple of years back, and even stripped of it's original paint it still managed to sell for five hundred quid, which was a little disappointing! 250 Aussie dollars was a steal!
mgeek

Full Real Name: will thompson

PreviousNext

Return to Burns