Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Remember when..

Postby Bill Bowley » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:10 am

BURNS guitars were 'young' ?

One example:

Bill Bowley

Re: Remember when..

Postby George Geddes » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:50 pm

Can't quite work out why the lead guitarist has an 'old'Burns and the other two have 'post-Marvin' models.

I think this clip is somewhere else on the board. Guitars look great.

George
George Geddes

Full Real Name: George Geddes

Postby Bill Bowley » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:57 pm

George,

Maybe they wouldn't give him a '64 until he found the missing trem cover and put it back on (note missing trem cover of course!). He has 'updated ' to a '64 in this next clip though. ;)

Regards

Bill Bowley

Postby Bill Bowley » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:06 pm

George,

These 'Honeycombs' guitarists seemed to lose lots of 'bits' off their BURNS guitars -note the missing scratchplates off the rythym and bass players guitars in this clip! ;)
Last edited by Bill Bowley on Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Bowley

Postby Bill Bowley » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:16 pm

...and here they are again, this time with what appears to be a different rythym player using a left handed BURNS Short Scale Jazz Guitar if I'm not mistaken, and BURNS Transistor amps as well.......... ;)
Bill Bowley

Postby Bill Bowley » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:27 pm

BURNS were big in Australia back then too -here's Billy Thorpe and the Aztecs (the clip is from 1964 NOT 1966 as it says at the start) and here you see a Bison lead and Bass being put to good use. ;)
Bill Bowley

Postby RayL » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:56 am

If only Burns had concentrated on making guitars, then surely the sale to Baldwin would never have been necessary? From what we learn in Paul's and Per's books, it was the resources diverted into amp making and other activities that caused the financial problems.

If Burns were able to have strong sales in places as far away as Australia, then demand for quality guitars was obviously there, so it's a real shame that the firm got into trouble at the very time when popular bands were giving Burns such a boost.

Did any of the first batch of 4-pickup Bisons reach Australia?

Ray
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Postby Dance with Shadows » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:14 am

Bill

Don't forget The Flies with Ronnie Burns playing a .... Burns. :D

Michael
Dance with Shadows

Full Real Name: Michael Brooks

Postby George Geddes » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:08 pm

The scratchplates may have been removed for tv because they were considered 'advertising' and the BBC (and presumably other publicly funded broadcasters) did not want that.

George
George Geddes

Full Real Name: George Geddes

Postby Bill Bowley » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:53 pm

Michael,

Not surprised - there were a lot of Sydney bands using BURNS in the mid sixties, don't think I've ever seen the Flies that I can remember though, being with Ronnie Burns I suppose they were a Melbourne group perhaps? ;)

Anyway, here they are.

Bill Bowley

Next

Return to Burns