Engraved scratchplates for '60s Burns

Anything about Burns guitars

Moderators: David Martin, Iain Purdon, dave robinson, JimN, George Geddes

Engraved scratchplates for '60s Burns

Postby mgeek » 03 Jun 2011, 11:05

Hi all

I need a scratchplate for a '64 Vista Sonic, and with Eddie Cross apparently retired and the current Burns co. wanting what I feel is a jaw dropping sum to make a repro (£175+vat...yes, I said scratchplate, not an original set of Tri-Sonics sealed in a time capsule by Jim Burns, Brian May and Hank Marvin in a secret moonlit pact back in '64)), I've decided to have a go at making one myself.

The material (traffolyte) appears to be relatively easily available, and I don't foresee any problem getting a local engraver to inscribe the 'volume' 'tone' etc around the controls.

That leaves the 'Burns london' lettering. in some form of italaics. Anyone got any ideas?
mgeek

Re: Engraved scratchplates for '60s Burns

Postby martcaster » 03 Jun 2011, 12:29

The font you'll require is called Brushwood. LegEnd use it for our communications etc. If you can't track it down, PM me and I'll post you a copy.
Regards,
Mart.
martcaster

Postby ErikMAMS » 03 Jun 2011, 12:46

Hi Will

I have sent you a PM

Erik
ErikMAMS

Postby mgeek » 03 Jun 2011, 14:19

martcaster wrote:The font you'll require is called Brushwood. LegEnd use it for our communications etc. If you can't track it down, PM me and I'll post you a copy.
Regards,
Mart.

Hi Mart

cheers for that- I had a bit of a google though, and I'm not sure it's the same thing...

You can see a close up on this shot- it's not the old/current Burns logo...

http://www.burns-guitars.nl/P6230028.JPG
mgeek

Postby martcaster » 03 Jun 2011, 17:08

O.K. mate, no sweat. I can see it's clearly different. Good luck with your search.
Mart.
martcaster

Postby mgeek » 03 Jun 2011, 17:34

No worries! Thanks for replying... I'm sure that information will come in very handy for anyone replicating a scratchplate for any of the more 'grown up' Burnses ;)
mgeek

Return to Burns