Burns Tunes

For anything specifically about Burns guitars

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Burns Tunes

Postby RogerCook » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:21 am

Not sure if this is a "General" or "Burns" topic so I've posted on both.

Is there a list of numbers that Hank used the Burns on?

Thanks

Roger
RogerCook

Full Real Name: Roger Cook

Re: Burns Tunes

Postby David Martin » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:03 pm

Depending on who you believe everything from Atlantis on... but generally accepted as everything from Flingel Bunt onwards until the 70's reunion.
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby BobGreg » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:35 am

The one minor (very trivial) disappointment I have regarding the last Shadows' tour and the current tour is that Hank hasn't made more use of the Burns for those numbers so distinctly associated with the Marvin - that's apart from the 12 string usage. He makes a number of strat changes for obvious reasons (string gauge and tuning) so to slot in a marvin wouldn't have presented too many problems.

He is clearly more comfortable with a strat and despite Barry's attempts to promote the burns usage, it's only ever been a token gesture. Commercial sponsorship clearly is not an issue as Hank isn't signed up to Fender or anyone else - he's a free agent as far as I can tell.

That distictive sound (some might say growl) that the marvin makes with that special tremolo system is quite a unique and a very distinctive sound to my ears anyway.
BobGreg

Postby Bojan » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:45 am

I agree with you completely Bob, the Burns is just as much a part of "THAT SOUND" as the Strat.

I would have liked to see Hank use the new Apache on the tour at least once. :cry:
Bojan

Full Real Name: Bojan Drndic

Postby BobGreg » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:06 pm

Bojan - I'm pretty sure that Barry Gibson will have tried hard to get the Burns in a more prominent position on this tour. As I said the red burns did make a token gesture on The Shadows final tour - both Bruce and Hank have their signatures on the trem plate. Similarly the trem plate on the new Apaches have signature endorsements so why they don't feature is quite a mystery to me too. They are using Vox amplification - or appear to be - so to have that distinctive burns sound for those recordings that had the Marvin Burns guitars on would have been the icing on the cake for realism.
BobGreg

Postby d jones » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:24 pm

As a Burns and Shadows fan it would be nice to see the inclusion of a Marvin or even better an Apache on the tour, but having said that the twelve string certainly looked and sounded the part last night in Sheffield!

Dave
d jones

Postby George Geddes » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:05 pm

I believe that the amps are JMI rather than Vox?

George
George Geddes

Full Real Name: George Geddes

Postby BobGreg » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:19 pm

Thanks George - I couldn't make out if they were Vox or JMI versions from the back of the NIA last week. From a distance you can't make out the subtlety.
BobGreg

Postby Rover » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:56 pm

Hi, I too am disappointed that Hank and Bruce didnt use apaches or marvins. Seems odd that they endorse them and dont use them, anyone have an answer to this. I understand that Bruce still has his original 1964 marvin, if that is the case you would think he would want to use it.
regards Rover
Rover

Full Real Name: Roger Dyball

Postby Geoff Alderton LH » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:34 pm

Hi. I thought the 12 string Burns, Hank is using on the tour, is an Apache. Its got the Indian engraved on the trem plate.
Regards Geoff.
Geoff Alderton LH

Next

Return to Burns