Burns Bison Bass Tuners

For anything specifically about Burns guitars

Moderators: David Martin, Iain Purdon, dave robinson, George Geddes

Burns Bison Bass Tuners

Postby Pow_22 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:16 am

Hi, Newbie here with my first post. IM in the middle of a bison bass project. It has been modded over the years and im trying to restore it to its original glory. THe two parts im having toruble with is the original bridge cover (been told i have a chance somewhere between zero and none!) and the oringal tuners. The long 'pole' style shaft with the black tuning key button. Anybody know if there are any knocking around? Even ones that LOOK the same will do but so far ive found nothing :(
Pow_22

Re: Burns Bison Bass Tuners

Postby JimN » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:46 am

Burns Guitars appear to have sourced a supply: http://www.burnsguitars.com/burnsshadowbass.php

How about contacting Barry Gibson to check whether you could get a set? But you might need two sets in order to get four LHS tuners...

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Pow_22 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:59 am

Brill. Cheers for that. I have sent them an email but got an auto-reply saying they were closed until 3rd Aug due to trade shows. Hopefully they can supply a 4 set for a 4-in-a-row headstock. Thanks for your help
Pow_22

Postby Pow_22 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:30 pm

All i need now is a bridge cover (guess that will never happen) and a set of the original Ormston Burns Ultra Sonic pickups (or at least the pick-up covers). MIne seem to have been replaced by the more recent Club series pickups (god knows why!) and a route has been made under the pickguard for a P Bass pickup! Im after the black pickups (or covers) with the silver pole piece dots. Will look brilliant once its back to its old glory, just such a shame that someone has done this to it!
Pow_22

Postby mgeek » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:36 pm

In my experience, the current Burns co. CAN supply stuff, but at some pretty serious prices.

IMHO, you'd be better off looking for a cheap bass with a set of these on. Egmond, Watkins, Hagstrom all used these, or variations on them. I scored a set on a home made bass that cost me £30 off the bay a while back.
mgeek

Full Real Name: will thompson

Postby Pow_22 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:54 am

Well, ive had a reply from Barry at Burns and a set of 4 bass side tuners will cost me £124.00 + P&P!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pow_22

Postby JimN » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:22 am

Pow_22 wrote:a set of 4 bass side tuners will cost me £124.00 + P&P!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Expensive... but imagine what a NOS set (if such a thing existed) would cost you on eBay...
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby mgeek » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:40 pm

JimN wrote:
Pow_22 wrote:a set of 4 bass side tuners will cost me £124.00 + P&P!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Expensive... but imagine what a NOS set (if such a thing existed) would cost you on eBay...

Somewhere between 50 and 80 quid, I'd imagine. :roll:

I understand that businesses need to turn a profit to keep going etc, but I get the impression they are sticking some serious markups on their spares, simply because they 'can' in the absence of anywhere else having the parts.

Why not send Van Gent a message? They may be able to help... http://www.gebrvangent.com/Eng/Enggent.html It's possible they are even making these repros for Burns, but don't advertise them on their site because of the niche demand.
mgeek

Full Real Name: will thompson

Postby Pow_22 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:24 am

Got an email back from Van Gent. They no longer stock or make these machine heads. I did see a Marquee bass neck going on ebay with these tuners on but the guy wouldnt ship from USA and i think it went for circa £150. Ill keep an eye on ebay etc to see if any cheap 'homemade' basses come up that have these on
Pow_22

Postby HAIRY » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:28 pm

The tuners shown on the Hagstrom parts site do not have black plastic buttons, but they do look like Van Gents:

http://www.hagstromparts.se/bassmechanics.gif
HAIRY

Full Real Name: Harry Ellis

Return to Burns