Burns 2005 with Jim Cairnes pickups

For anything specifically about Burns guitars

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Burns 2005 with Jim Cairnes pickups

Postby Polledeauville » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:39 am

Hi

I'm new to this forum but a Shadows-fan since I saw them perform in Antwerp with Cliff and Olivia Newton-John, back in the early seventies (1971 Roma Borgerhout). They included a MW&F gig.

I'm offered a Burns made in 2005 with Jim Cairnes pickups, assembled in the UK, made apparently in Korea - £ 910 . I have no more information.

Can anyone inform me on the value and the quality of the guitar and the pickups?

I appreciate your help.

Paul
Polledeauville

Re: Burns 2005 with Jim Cairnes pickups

Postby Polledeauville » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:12 am

Some additional information about Jim Cairnes:

http://basschat.co.uk/lofiversion/index.php/t15791.html

where he is described as ''a pickup winder/luthier from Redcar, Middlesborough and mostly known for being the original pickup guru for Burns guitars and also being Chris Rea's guitar tech"
Polledeauville

Postby dave robinson » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:05 am

If this is the red Shadows Custom guitar with the signature of both Hank & Bruce, that Burns introduced in 2005, it's a great guitar and I love the sound of mine and it plays great.
They were £999.00 brand new, so if you feel the price you're paying is OK then go ahead, though my friend recently sold his ( it was unplayed) and it only went for £675.00 - but they are rare as there was a limited run on the actual Shadows Custom model - these are identified by the gold hardware and certificate signed by Bruce & Hank.

I understand that the run continued without the gold hardware or certificate. :idea:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby dave robinson » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:22 pm

So, is this guitar much too expensieve?

In my opinion yes it is too expensive,from a resale point of view it doesn't even have the neck pocket, which does matter to some.
That said, I am thinking that it is expensive for our UK market, but maybe not where you live.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Polledeauville » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:00 pm

Thanks Dave for your helpful comments

Paul
Polledeauville

Postby bor64 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:26 am

Paul, that story on marktplaats is a "BS story" ;)

Sorry folks a little Dutch here.....

Paul, het is een fabeltje,die gitaar is of van de 2004 anniversary serie (gunstige geval) of van de "1964" serie ...deze laatste kan je gewoon nog nieuw kopen...
De neckpocket op deze gitaar is een aangepaste strat type neckpocket, op sommige 2004 serie toegepast...maar is niet vintage correct!
In ieder geval de gitaar is te duur,en wat betreft die elementen ik geloof er niks van,hij noemt die naam wel.....maar deze elementen zitten nooit op deze serie Marvins...wel op de veel duurdere....

Groetjes Rob
"afterwards everyone is clairvoyant"
bor64

Full Real Name: Rob Aartsen

Return to Burns