Burns 4 pickup Bison.....Whaaaat!?

For any discussion specifically about Burns guitars

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Burns 4 pickup Bison.....Whaaaat!?

Postby RayL » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:41 am

Thanks again, Harry. I can see now that they are just extra connection posts (Jim B. really wasn't worried about the weight , was he?)

The little black circular thing with the silver band round it (next to transformer No.4) would be the capacitor, then? It doesn't look much like other capacitors (more like a small inductor, in fact) but presumably Jim B. once again wanted something special for this guitar.

Ray
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Postby HAIRY » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:02 am

Ray,

I cannot remember where the capacitor is positioned. However, the 'little black circular thing with the silver band round it' you identify is the female end of a 7 pin Bulgin plug that connects to the pickups circuit board. You say that 'Jim B. wanted something special for his guitar' which is true to a point, in that he did not cut corners or attempt to engineer the guitar down to a price. An yet it is evident he was surprisingly pragmatic, using readily available materials such as the bakelite circuit boards (that would not look out of place in a Lancaster bomber or Churchill tank) and the ladies popper button fastener that is used to secure the vibrato cover in position.

Certainly all this adds up to a curious example of post war English design that combines a mix of inspired vision and 'make do and mend', weighing in at a meaty 11lbs.
HAIRY

Full Real Name: Harry Ellis

Postby ericohenrit » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:08 am

HI
Just joined the site.
I see there is a lot of interest in the BURNS BLACK BISON 4 Pick-up guitar.
I have owned an original Black Bison 4 Pick- up model for some time.
I had it fully checked by Jack Golder , who made it , when he had his workshop at Romford/ gallows corner.
The guy who rechecked all the wiring was Kieth Wastell a genius in this type of work.
You can check out the sounds of this Guitar on my website.WWW.MYSPACE.COM/ERICOHENRIT.
Enjoy.
Rock on
ERIC O HENRIT
ericohenrit

Postby ericohenrit » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:17 am

HI
Just joined the site.
I see there is a lot of interest in the Burns Black Bison 4 Pick-up guitar.
I have owned a Black Bison for some time.
I had it fully checked out by Jack Golder,the guy who made mine, at his workshop at Gallows Corner/Romford.
Tha guy who rechecked all the wiring was Kieth Wastell a genius in this field.
You can check out the sound of this guitar on my website WWW.MYSPACE.COM/ERICOHENRIT.
You can also find my other websites on WWW.GOOGLE.com/ELVISERIC.
Enjoy
Rock on
ERIC O HENRIT
ericohenrit

Postby RayL » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:19 pm

Hi Eric

Welcome to the forum. When you say "Jack Golder , who made it" are you meaning that yours is one of the 49 made by Jack and the rest of the Burns team in 1961-62?

I tried to play the 'Poseidon' mp3 file on your site but it would not play (this may be down to the particular computer I was using)

Ray
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Postby ericohenrit » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:41 pm

Hi
Just joined the site.
It is good to see a lot of interest in the BLACK BISON GUITAR.
I have owned an original BLACK BISON 4 Pickup 1961 model for some time.
I had Jack Golder look at it when he had his workshop at Gallows Corner in Romford.
His co worker Kieth Wastell checked the wiring and it is now in its original condition.

You can check out the sound of this amazing guitar on my website WWW.MYSPACE.COM/ERICOHENRIT.
Th tracks are all under TRIBUTE TO HANK./APACHE/KONTIKI/POSEIDON and several more.
Any comments welcome.
ROCK ON
ERIC O HENRIT
ericohenrit

Postby ericohenrit » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:45 pm

HI
Just read your comment.
Yes mine is one made by Jack Golder.
When I took it in to Jack in the early 1990,s he opened the case and said to me "Yes I made this one"
I got very friendly with Jack a great guy sadly no longer with us.
ERIC O HENRIT
ericohenrit

Postby Graylion » Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:56 pm

Bill Bowley wrote:
Graylion wrote:Thanks for posting my original scan of the advert Bill! Cheers, Lionel

Lionel,

Aha, so it was you that scanned it and gave it to'Dusty Frets' to put on page 16 of his 'work of art' 'The Burns Book'! I wondered where he got that from, now I know -I think.........

Anyaway, here's a three pickup Bison in action with the Australian group 'Billy Thorpe and the Aztecs (it says 1966 but it is actually 1964)-Vince Melouney on lead (later BeeGees).

(Sorry - I've only just spotted this posting) Yes Bill, it's my scan and has the same file number I gave it but I don't recall giving it to "Dusty Frets"! No probs as I don't own the copyright. I'm glad it was useful. I have a collection of catalogues and leaflets dating from around 1961 when I was at school and first became interested in the guitar. My younger Bro' brought home a guitar made my a schoolfriend with view to trying it out and buying it. Bro' couldn't play, and never did take it up, but I had a go at picking out a single string melody (It was something like "Goodbye, farewell" and I thought it was by the Brook Brothers but I haven't found it on the web yet!)
The guitar was a plank of wood and the frets were sharp and pointy but it lead me onto greater things!
Cheers, Lionel
:D
Graylion

Postby John Boyd » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:39 pm

Lionel,
Maybe the song you're trying to remember is "Are You Sure", by The Allisons.
Cheers,
JB
John Boyd

Full Real Name: John Boyd

Postby Graylion » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:04 am

Many thanks John. You're absolutely right! It was the Allisons. I guess you must be around my age then? :lol: I probably would have figured it out sooner or later - but more like later! ;)
Cheers, Lionel
Graylion

PreviousNext

Return to Burns