Burns Marvin components

For anything specifically about Burns guitars

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Burns Marvin components

Postby ernie1958 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:38 pm

8-) My fellow members...for quite some time I have been searching the web as to find info and/or answers to certain things that
have been puzzling me.I have been wondering what exactly makes let's say a Burns Marvin sound different compared to a Fender Stratocaster?
As some of you might know I have a Marquee and I've been doing an A/B comparison with my Strat.I must say that soundwise there really isn't
quite an extreme difference in basic sound only that the Burns is a bit more "crispier" in some manner.
So my question is...are the electrical components in a Burns Marvin that different in value compared to a Strat?
If so...what are the values exactly? ( pots,pickups,etc. )I know the pots in a Strat are all 250k and also know the pickups and caps specs originally used.
The thing is I haven't a clue as to what's used in a Marvin coz there isn't a fitting wiring/components diagram anywhere to be found.
If I could get one of these diagrams then I'd know exactly what's used and how to wire accordingly.For the Strat it's no big deal..schematics can be found
easily for it but not for example a Marvin or Marquee.
Maybe some of the members by chance know of anything about being able to get a diagram or perhaps have had the nerve to look "under the hood"
of a Marvin or such as to see what's in there and how it's been wired? :roll:
I'm planning on wiring my Marquee in the same way as a Marvin is wired and using the same pots,caps,etc.( omg...getting too technical here.. :lol: )
Hence the reason I'm asking this is why.. ;)

Any help will be of great appreciation,
Cheers,
Ernie
ernie1958

Re: Burns Marvin components

Postby David Martin » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:54 pm

Very little difference under the hood Ernie except the use of aluminium on the Burns.

In my opinion, the difference in the recorded sound of The Shadows is down to the use of the AC30 Top Boost channel with full Bass and Treble turned up until the sound becomes nasal and hollow. (Try this with a Strat...)

I have some 64/65 Burns pickups tucked away and fitted them onto my Burns Legend (Custom Shop Marvin) just to see what the difference would be... and the result? No difference! And my modern Marvin sounds the same too...

p.s. Anyone want some vintage Marvin pickups? ;)
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby ernie1958 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:24 pm

8-) Thnx for the reply David...so you say there's no difference between a Marvin and a Strat electronically speaking? I'm not sure about
that,but I'm still curious which components are used in the Marvin. I know for instance that the pots in my Marquee are 500k and do seem
to make the guitar a tad brighter than a Strat.Same goes for the Marvin I presume.Also I think that the Apache pups I have in my Marquee
might be somewhat different compared to Marvin pups,but I'd have to find out for myself now wouldn't I ?? :lol:
Btw David,are you really selling those pups and if so ,I would be interested...might be worth while for the Marquee and an A/B comparison
with what's in the guitar atm...pm me if you will about how much? ;)

Cheers,
Ernie
ernie1958

Postby David Martin » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:35 am

I'm not saying there's no difference, just no significant difference; bear in mind that there are many Strat variations, some with 500k pots some with 250k etc...

The brightness of the Marquee is down to the structure of its pickups with steel slugs and bar magnets... not replicated on the Marvins. See my posting on Pickups in the How To Get That Sound topic...

I do, however, feel that the aluminium Rez o Tubes used in the Marvin make some very slight tonal differences.

You should also contact member bor64 who is a countryman of yours. He has several Marvins and Strats and a great depth of knowledge...
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Return to Burns