Burns Sonic models ,early 60's

For anything specifically about Burns guitars

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Burns Sonic models ,early 60's

Postby Graylion » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:17 am

McG - As a professional Cynic I stand by my opinion - it is just my opinion! As long as you like it, that's all that really counts.
Keep on playing.
Cheers, Lionel
Graylion

Postby burnsbonkers » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:15 pm

Well, im pretty pleased how far this thread has gone!.
But im sorry , anyone who doubts the pictures of the natural sycamore V.Artiste uploaded recently by MGEEK are in serious denial!
The pictures were sent to me by its owner a couple of years ago, which in turn I passed on to MGEEK (after he confessed his yearnings to see one in reality!)
Its current owner bought it from a guy in the 1990s who originally bought it BRAND NEW from a shop in london,1962.
It appears that either it was one made up out of remaining parts left over from the final V.Artiste/ V.A Deluxe production run - or a customer order.
However the latter wouldnt exactly make sense, as it was bought new in a shop.
its clear to see that it is a natural sycamore finish, as the grain can be seen shimmering through the clear lacquer.
I have no doubts that this example is original, admittedly not so sure about the rotary switch however, its owner has looked at this particular part in detail, and he thinks its pretty much identical to the type fitted to Bison Models and the like of the same vintage.

just my 2 pence worth!!. :lol:
burnsbonkers

Postby Seasalter Sounds » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:12 pm

I can confirm that this is original as it is my guitar (those are my knees!). I bought it from the original owner in 1997 who told me it had spent most of the previous 20+ years under the bed, having been gigged until marriage and a Fender Str*t intervened. He told me it was all original, the only change being his moving the jack socket from the edge to the scratch plate (in line with all other VAs I've seen), another variation from the norm. The knobs are the same as a VA deluxe, only chrome rather than gold. I've often thought the switch looked a little 'shop bought' but again it appears to be original. I can only assume as it was a late model (1962) it may have been subject to available parts- I've never seen one that wasn't mahogany, either- I can only assume the blonde finish was intended to show off the 'different' wood? The only other change (apart from the strings!) is a refret to make it playable- and very nice it is too! 8-)
Seasalter Sounds

Postby Billyboygretsch » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:27 pm

Are the v/a knobs on the guitar engraved with the plectrum logo. When did the Sonics change from maple to rosewood fingerboard.
Billyboygretsch

Full Real Name: Bill Lovegrove

Postby Alan Prudhoe » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:54 pm

This was my Burns Sonic which I purchased second-hand (for £15) around 1961/2. It was all original as far as I know.

AlanAvlons2.jpg
(686.59 KiB) Downloaded 7690 times
Alan Prudhoe

Postby Billyboygretsch » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:00 pm

When did the maple finger board cease and rosewood start on the sonic.
On a v/a I have the number 580 stamped into the wood on a v/a de luxe I have the number 706 stamped. Does anyone know what they represent or have them stamped into theirs. I understand serial numbers did not start until the 4pu Bison
Billyboygretsch

Full Real Name: Bill Lovegrove

Previous

Return to Burns