Burns Sonic models ,early 60's

Anything about Burns guitars

Moderators: David Martin, Iain Purdon, dave robinson, JimN, George Geddes

Burns Sonic models ,early 60's

Postby burnsbonkers » 22 Oct 2011, 16:46

Hi,
Just interested in finding out more about the really early models of the Sonic guitar, I haven't seen any very early models at all, I've heard the very early models had blank pickup covers and open backed tuners, is this true?
Any info welcome.
Pat.
burnsbonkers

Re: Burns Sonic models ,early 60's

Postby RayL » 23 Oct 2011, 20:44

The earlly tuners were open-backed.

Unlike the pickups for the 'Artist', which had six individual cylindrical magnets with exposed polepieces (highest for G, lowest for low E), the Sonic pickups had the six holes in the top cover blanked with black material.

Perhaps a Sonic owner could tell us if the pickups have six individual magnets inside, or a bar. If a bar, then the sound of these Tri-Sonics must inevitably be different from the sound of the Artist's Tri-Sonics, whcih begs the question, what is the 'true' sound of a Tri-Sonic pickup?

This in turn brings up another question, which type did Brian May use for the 'Red Special'? There were lots of stories about early Burns guitars being cannibalised for their pickups, but whcih type did Brian May use?

Ray
RayL

Postby ErikMAMS » 24 Oct 2011, 08:18

The BM Red special Tri-Sonics were the bar type with the fake pole piece holes in the cover.

Below a pic of a Tri-Sonic with the cover removed.

Erik
Attachments
T-S inside.JPG
(604.53 KiB) Downloaded 13851 times
ErikMAMS

Postby burnsbonkers » 24 Oct 2011, 18:44

I own a 63 sonic and a 61/2 Vibra artiste, and I can tell you they sound quite different. The Sonics pickups seem to sound smoother to me, then again you can never find a true setting for a vibra artiste, as it changes practically every time you touch a knob!
burnsbonkers

Postby mgeek » 24 Oct 2011, 20:45

Saw an interesting looking Sonic on ebay a while back- natural mahogany with a white scratchplate w/black secondary scratchplate. It was an early one with the first type of trem and maple fretboard.

Could have been modified, I guess, but my gut feeling says it was all original.
mgeek

Postby Graylion » 25 Oct 2011, 01:15

Many early Burns Sonics and Artistes suffered/suffer from cracked paintwork/lacqueur over the years and were stripped to the base mahogany - then a new finish of clear "varnish" on top. I am fairly certain that Burns never produced a "natural" mahogany finish on these guitars. I was watching them from 1960 onward. They were all finished in the cherry red burst to black. Naturally eBay sellers will often claim that they are "original". You should be able to tell from the routed cavity. They normally get an overspray of the original paint so are likely to have some evidence remaining - unless a previous owner did a full "dip & strip"! Forensic investigation might then be needed if you think it important enough! ;) I think it's odd that they named both types of pickup "Tri-Sonic" with one having individual pole pieces and the other not! :?
Cheers, Lionel
Graylion

Postby ErikMAMS » 25 Oct 2011, 07:27

Graylion wrote:I think it's odd that they named both types of pickup "Tri-Sonic" with one having individual pole pieces and the other not!

Agree - I was hoping that someone had a similar picture of the insides of the individual pole piece type.

Erik
ErikMAMS

Postby RayL » 25 Oct 2011, 07:53

I agree with Lionel about the finish on the early models. The cherry-red paintwork on my Artist was already crazed / cracked all over the body when I bought it in the summer of 1963. Thats just three-and-a half years after it was made. Only the cherry paintwork, though. The black neck was smooth (and has remained smooth after 50 years). As you can see (avatar), I got fed up with having to explain to people that the cracked finish was like that when I bought it. Not only that, but it looked wrong, so in the 1980s I had the body rubbed down and resprayed black to match the neck.

Any natural wood finishes would not be original. You've got to imagine the situation back in those days. Solid electric guitars were fantasy instruments - things of power and glamour compared to those mouldy old spanish-style acoustics in natural wood finishes that had been used for the skiffle craze of two or three years earlier. People wanted strong colours that said 'rock'n'roll'. After all, Hank's Fiesta Red Strat wasn't just popular because Hank played it - it was because it stood out - it made a statement. Plain wood finishes just wouldn't have sold.

Ray
Last edited by RayL on 25 Oct 2011, 07:56, edited 1 time in total.
RayL

Postby RayL » 25 Oct 2011, 07:55

ErikMAMS wrote:
Graylion wrote:I think it's odd that they named both types of pickup "Tri-Sonic" with one having individual pole pieces and the other not!

Agree - I was hoping that someone had a similar picture of the insides of the individual pole piece type.

Erik

Apart from the three on my Artist (which I'm reluctant to dismantle), I think I've got a spare multi-magnet lurking somewhere. I'll have a look.

Ray
RayL

Postby JimN » 25 Oct 2011, 08:11

ErikMAMS wrote:The BM Red special Tri-Sonics were the bar type with the fake pole piece holes in the cover.

Yes, but all the modern Burns guitars with "Tri-Sonics" are like that, even models (eg, the Double Six) which originally had the pickups with six polepieces as described above by Ray.

The Tri-Sonics fited to the original BM guitar are likely to have been the six-pole version, as they were available as a component from Burns for 6 guineas (£6.30) each. Likewise the four-pole bass unit for the same price.

JN
JimN

Next

Return to Burns