Burns Drifter De Luxe 1999

For anything specifically about Burns guitars

Moderators: David Martin, Iain Purdon, dave robinson, George Geddes

Burns Drifter De Luxe 1999

Postby Tab » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:11 am

I have a Burns Drifter serial number 17 which I am thinking of selling.

These were discontinued in 2004 and are becoming collectable.

This one is in excellent condition, never gigged and light home use only. As it sits in its case most of the time I would rather it went to a better home.

If anyone is interested please send me a PM for further details.

Kind regards,

Terry
Tab

Full Real Name: Terry Bryant

Re: Burns Drifter De Luxe 1999

Postby kinman » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:57 am

Pics & a price wud b nice please
kinman

Full Real Name: vic badcock

Postby Tab » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:12 pm

Here is the spec. - Pics to follow

DRIFTER/DRIFTER DE LUXE
Custom Series

Country of Manufacture UK
Introduced... 1998
Discontinued... 2004

Scale 25½ ins
No. of Frets 22 (with zero fret)
Body Alder
Neck Birdseye Maple
Headstock Scroll, with Sperzel locking machine heads
Colours/Finish Fiesta Red
Scratchplate 3-piece White
Pickups 3 x Kinman Hank Marvin Signature (slanted)
Controls 1 x Volume, 2 x Tone (incorporating push/pull switch), five-way Pickup Selector
Bridge/Tailpiece/Tremolo Point Classic knife-edge
Hardware Gold
Width 12¾ ins
Tab

Full Real Name: Terry Bryant

Postby geoff1711 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:32 am

I remember seeing these in Musical Exchanges in Birmingham (sadly no longer in business).

At that time Patrick Eggle were located right behind the store in the next road, it was said that Mus Ex had bought them.

What has this to do with Burns? at that time Patrick Eggle were making these somewhat expensive mid range guitars, the top end were made by a Luther in Rayliegh, now relocated to Southend, he routed a Marquee to take a Roland GK pickup for me and there were a number of Burns guitars in various stages of construction in his workshop when I went to pick it up.

The problem with the Drifter was that a Marquee could be brought up to much the same spec for a lot less money these were around the £8 - £900 mark, a set of Kinmans was well under £200 back then add that to the Marquee at around £300 and you had a very similar looking and sounding guitar.

The Marquee has been a very successful guitar, but it did no favours to those who had invested in guitars such as the Drifter because it drastically reduced their second hand value, although due to their relative scarcity may attract more from a Burns collector now that a few years have passed.

They also produced a cheaper version with a Strat style body and scroll headstock with single coil arrangement as per a Strat, I think Wizard made the pickups, but even these were more expensive than a Marquee.

I think ME eventually job'd them out to get rid of them, they did this quite a lot, I bought a couple of Marshall JTM's for about half the going rate, and of course Eggle are still around whether they are still in the same premises and who owns them now I'm not sure.

Geoff
geoff1711

Return to Burns