BURNS/BALDWIN.

For anything specifically about Burns guitars

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

BURNS/BALDWIN.

Postby Geoff Alderton LH » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:19 am

Hi all. The postman has just delivered the Dec edition of 'Vintage Guitar Magazine' Very interesting article on Burns/ Baldwin serial numbers/date mismatch. For an example it uses A Baldwin Shadows S Bass found in a pawn shop in Main. It goes on to say that two other matching Marvin guitars are known about, flat top, bound body, acustic pockets and the headstock having the original Burns scroll . It says the matching set of Marvins were built for the Shadows in mid 66 as an expeimental mark II version of their regular instruments. To be used on their up and coming, 1967, tour of Australia. Barry Gibson was supprised and impressed when told about the find. The article goes on to say that Hank owns or used to own one of the two guitars and that this bass matches the guitar in all departments, apart from that its a bass and not a guitar. The colour is given as green. It points out that the serial number is only a few digits away from Hanks guitar and this is on a left over 1962-63 serial number plate just like Hanks. My question is; Is this article new or old? and has this bass been known about for some time. Best regards Geoff.
Geoff Alderton LH

Re: BURNS/BALDWIN.

Postby George Geddes » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:34 pm

The guitars are certainly part of Burns history / mytjology, but this is the first time I have seen any mention of a bass...

George
George Geddes

Full Real Name: George Geddes

Postby Geoff Alderton LH » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:31 am

Hi all. Good morning George. Maybe Mr Gibson has some info on the bass, the article reads as genuine and the magazine has, I believe, has a good reputation. I dont think they would print such a long article if they thought it was a fake. Then again what did Guitarist do with the potato farmer/ Peter Green story of a few years ago.
Regards Geoff.
Geoff Alderton LH

Postby Geoff Alderton LH » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:06 am

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Burns-Baldwin-Mar ... %26ps%3D54
Hi George. Is this Burns Baldwin, on ebay, one of the two guitars you mention. Its got a typical Musical Ground price on it. Hate to think what a matching bass would cost.
Regards Geoff.
Geoff Alderton LH

Postby George Geddes » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:00 pm

That *looks* like one of them but I am inclined to think it might be a modern re-issue...

George
George Geddes

Full Real Name: George Geddes

Postby Geoff Alderton LH » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:12 pm

Hi George. Thats some re issue at £19,950 Musicground says its one of the originals made for the Shadows tour of Australia in the 60's so I suppose the price is about right when you consider the £25,000 thats being asked for one of Hanks more recent Strats.
Regards Geoff.
Geoff Alderton LH

Return to Burns