Marvin Pickup Adjustment

For anything specifically about Burns guitars

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Marvin Pickup Adjustment

Postby Geoff_W » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:50 pm

Hi
Can anyone tell me what, in their experience, is the best height to have the pickups on a Marvin please? Both of my Marvins are fitted with 10-46s with the action on both set at 2mm using the bottom E on the 17th fret. Unfortunately the Burns guide doesn't cover this aspect of the set up so any advice would be very much appreciated.
Many thanks
Geoff
Geoff_W

Full Real Name: Geoff Worrall

Re: Marvin Pickup Adjustment

Postby David Martin » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:53 am

Not being rude Geoff but use your ears! Keeping the pickups level to start with adjust the bridge pickup until it makes the sound you like best, then playing across the strings adjust the bass side height to even out the volume. Then adjust the middle and neck pickups in turn to match the bridge volume (likely they'll be lower) then for each, the across the strings adjustment. If you're not sure, then come and look at mine.
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Re: Marvin Pickup Adjustment

Postby Geoff_W » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:32 pm

Thanks David. I guessed it would end up a case of trial and error but it's always handy to have a benchmark to work off, hence my request. I had 11s on my Anniversary for a while but after I got my '64 Greenburst a short time ago I realised it had lost that certain something in the sound with the heavier gauge, so it's been changed back to 10s. That's when I found that the '64 had the pickups way too low on the treble side! These things are all sent to try us! Good luck with the gig tonight.

Geoff
Geoff_W

Full Real Name: Geoff Worrall

Return to Burns