Double Six Club Series - string guage?

For anything specifically about Burns guitars

Moderators: David Martin, Iain Purdon, dave robinson, George Geddes

Double Six Club Series - string guage?

Postby Mikey » 15 Apr 2012, 20:45

I need to replace the strings on my Club Series Double Six. Does anyone know what guage they are supplied with?
I'm guessing 10-46 but a definite answer would be very much appreciated, please.
Mikey

Re: Double Six Club Series - string guage?

Postby JimN » 15 Apr 2012, 21:33

As no-one has come up with a definitive answer (yet), perhaps I could just observe that it is the custom of Burns Guitars to use 10-46 strings on their guitars from new except for the Anniversary Marvins (where a change was made to 11-49 after requests).

If the Double Six follows the 10-46 pattern, the gauges are likely to be the same as I use on the Fender Electric XII in my avatar picture, which are:

10 / 10
13 / 13
17 / 008
26w / 11p
36w / 14p
46w / 22w

I hope that's helpful.

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby RogerCook » 16 Apr 2012, 08:28

D'Addario list a 12 tring set with slightly diiferent "octave up" gauges:

http://www.daddario.com/DADProductDetai ... ght__10_46

From memory those are what I have in mine and they play fine

HTH

Does anyone know a source for an "octave down" set? I've read a thread about having them custom wound but I don't want to got to that expense as an experiment. The D'addario "Bass VI" set have overlong windings on the lower strings and won't fit without modification (which would probably ruin them!)

Roger
RogerCook

Full Real Name: Roger Cook

Postby cockroach » 16 Apr 2012, 14:13

Best of luck with the .08 high G string- I put a set of D'addario electric 12 strings on my double neck a couple of months ago, and the high G octave string didn't even last as far as tuning up before it snapped.

I had to put another .17 on instead, which gives a unison rather than octave course on the G pair, as with the E and B pairs. Then again, I used to string my electric 12 string guitars like that in the 1960's so I could bend the G strings for playing solos in things like Eight Miles High..

I don't think any string maker makes anything which fits a guitar which is lighter than .08 gauge?

Only other alternative is to use lower overall D (or even C) tuning, but the transpositions necessary when playing in a band are a pain! Even with a capo!

As for a low 12 set, it would be difficult to get a regular nut and bridge and machine head holes modified to fit the bass strings plus the regular guitar string set, and the normal guitar scale lengths of 24 3/4 or 25 1/2 inches would give major tuning/intonation problems, even if using short 30 inch scale bass strings.

You could try a (detuned) baritone set with a light gauge guitar set maybe, but even the baritone scale is about 28 inches and may not tune up- and there would be endless problems with rattling pairs of strings...

best of luck mate!
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby JimN » 16 Apr 2012, 14:19

There is no problem with the 0.008" string on the Fender - never has been. At one time I was able to get 0.007" strings! I chose the gauges mentioned above for low tension and even volume response...

JN
JimN

Postby cockroach » 16 Apr 2012, 14:26

Hi Jim!

I think the Fender 12 has a 24 3/4 scale, which would give a slightly lower string tension at concert pitch than my double neck, which has about 25 1/2 inch scales on both necks.

The shorter scale would be friendlier to a very light gauge .08 (usually a high E) which is being asked to go up to high G!

Years ago , folks would use a banjo high G for a 12 string guitar...maybe that's a solution, but I don't know what gauges banjo strings come in, and they may be loop ended not ball ended which would fit guitar tailpieces?
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby Mikey » 16 Apr 2012, 20:17

Thanks for all the helpful advice folks.
Think I'll take a chance on the D'addario.
Mikey

Postby RogerCook » 16 Apr 2012, 21:07

I don't think any string maker makes anything which fits a guitar which is lighter than .08 gauge?

D'Addario do a .007

http://www.daddario.com/DADProductDetai ... el_Singles
RogerCook

Full Real Name: Roger Cook

Postby JimN » 16 Apr 2012, 21:59

cockroach wrote:Hi Jim!

I think the Fender 12 has a 24 3/4 scale, which would give a slightly lower string tension at concert pitch than my double neck, which has about 25 1/2 inch scales on both necks.
The shorter scale would be friendlier to a very light gauge .08 (usually a high E) which is being asked to go up to high G!

That's a good theory... but it's incorrect! ;)

The Fender Electric XII (currently seen in my Avatar) has a 25.5" scale-length...

When Fender used the same bridge on a Japanese-built 12-string Stratocaster in the 1980s, that had a 24.75" scale. But mine is the California-made original from 1966...

JN
JimN

Postby Nick Allan » 17 Apr 2012, 13:11

Sorry Mikey,

Just came accross this. I can say they are 10 to 46 as suggested. I also agree with Cockroach's sugestion for the G string. Barry Gibson will supply you with sets if you call him.

All the best,

Nick
Nick Allan

Next

Return to Burns