Double Six Club Series - string guage?

For anything specifically about Burns guitars

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Double Six Club Series - string guage?

Postby cockroach » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:32 pm

Sorry Jim, I wrongly assumed the original 1960's Fender XII might have been a shorter scale given the use of the Jaguar style body.

However, generally, a shorter scale does result in less string tension than a longer scale, given use of the same gauge set of strings tuned to concert pitch...that's physics! No argument there?
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby JimN » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:37 pm

cockroach wrote:Sorry Jim, I wrongly assumed the original 1960's Fender XII might have been a shorter scale given the use of the Jaguar style body.

Good reasoning. The Electric XII, though, has a Jazzmaster shaped/sized body rather than the slightly smaller Jag body.

cockroach wrote:However, generally, a shorter scale does result in less string tension than a longer scale, given use of the same gauge set of strings tuned to concert pitch...that's physics! No argument there?

Absolutely. From memory, I can recall a Hondo-branded 12-string "Strat" in the 1980s which also had the 24.75"scale length.

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Mikey » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:29 pm

Just to round this one off, I decided in the end to buy a set of Rickenbacker compressed roundwound (RIC No. 95404) as a seller on Amazon was doing them for just over £8.00 which was almost half the price of some online sellers.
They were advertised as 10-46 but just after I had placed the order I got a message from him saying that there was an error in the description and they were in fact 10-42 (42/26,34/20, 26/13, 20/10, 13/13, 10/10). I said I'd have them anyway.
I fitted them this afternoon and they sound fine with a nice chime. To put them through their paces and in view of yesterday's sad news I played "Twelve String Shuffle" because it seemed appropriate.
Mikey

Postby JimN » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:18 pm

Mikey wrote:I decided in the end to buy a set of Rickenbacker compressed roundwound (RIC No. 95404)

Rickenbacker strings (at the very least, the 12-string set) are made in Germany by Pyramid.

Pyramid strings are available (at excellent prices) from http://www.thomann.de

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby cockroach » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:28 pm

Ahh well, it doesn't matter what strings you use......I took my double neck out last night for a play, and after being perfectly behaved since I re-strung it a few weeks ago with 18 nice new strings, the bloody thing just wouldn't get or stay in tune!

I love 12 string guitars but they really are a labour of love!
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby Mikey » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:54 pm

cockroach wrote:Ahh well, it doesn't matter what strings you use......I took my double neck out last night for a play, and after being perfectly behaved since I re-strung it a few weeks ago with 18 nice new strings, the bloody thing just wouldn't get or stay in tune!

I love 12 string guitars but they really are a labour of love!

Yep, I never look forward to re-stringing 'em!
Mikey

Postby Razzmataz » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:40 pm

I use Rotosound R30EL's on my double six.

10/10 14/14 10/22w 14/28w 22w/38w 28w/48w

Stays in tune perfectly

Paul
Razzmataz

Full Real Name: Paul Beard

Previous

Return to Burns