The 50th Anniversary Burns Apache

For anything specifically about Burns guitars

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

The 50th Anniversary Burns Apache

Postby MagicOurMorris » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:51 pm

Hi everyone, I just wondered how many of our members own and play a Burns 50th Anniversary Apache Guitar. I purchased one about 9 months ago and to-date I am extremely pleased with it. It's an absolute pleasure to play, the set up and the build quality is spot on. Also the pickups provide a much sweeter tone when playing 1st E & 2nd B strings at the high end of the fret board. Using a Vox AD50VT set to the preset AC30TB channel plus a Zoom G2 1u effects pedal (prog/with EFTP) I can manage to obtain a really good authentic Shadows sound etc. Much closer to "That Sound" than I can get when using my Custom Shop 56 NOS Strat.
Having a tone control for the bridge pickup and being able to tame the treble to various levels when required according to the Shadows tune being played - is IMHO a real plus point. I only have two gripes with the guitar.

1) It's a little bit on the heavy side. :?

2) The key note markers along the side of the fret board are difficult to see/pick out when your playing the guitar, you need eyes like a Japanese Sniper to see the tiny black dot markers which get lost within the grey Mother of Pearl fret board binding. :ugeek:
Other than that, I think the guitar is an absolutely brilliant instrument and equal if not better than my Custom Shop 56 NOS Special Edition Strat.

I would be interested to hear the views any other member/s that own one of these guitars, or alternatively the views from any members who have heard the Apache guitar played on a regular basis etc.
Regards to all.
Keith (MagicOurMorris)
MagicOurMorris

Full Real Name: Keith Sayles

Re: The 50th Anniversary Burns Apache

Postby noelford » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:34 pm

I've been extremely happy with my Apache and actually like it even more now than when I first had it. Very different from my two Strats (An American Vintage '57 reissue and a Custom Shop Masterbuilt NOS '56) but I find that the three of them really compliment each other and together make the perfect line-up for guitar instrumentals. Of the three, though, I have to say it's the Masterbuilt every time when it comes to the authentic early Shads sound.

Of course, I still love my Gibsons, too!

Incidentally, I agree with you about the side dot markers but I actually like my guitars to be on the heavy side.
noelford

Postby buckshot » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:56 pm

G'day,
I have the Black Burns Apache. I initially didn't like the set up but I changed to 11-52's and reset the guitar up and I am very very pleased with the sound. Certain songs get a much closer sound than my strat'57.
I play thru the M'stomp with EFTP , Compressor then Charlies Ariab? ( Which I had made up here by a tech) then into my Ac 30 TB.
The only probs I've had is the gold on the saddle(bottom E) has started to wear off after only about 1 hours playing. Also the middle catch on the case where the lock is is useless. When you pick the guitar up in the case the top part of the case comes away from the latch.
Other than that and, oh yes, initially I had a faulty push/pull tone knob which Barry immediatly fixed by sending me a new one, the guitar plays beautifully. It took me a while to get the whammy set up to my height and tension, but it is fine now.

regards
Buckshot :D
buckshot

Postby MagicOurMorris » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:15 pm

Hi ya Buckshot, really pleased your enjoying your Burns Apache guitar. Touch wood, so far I have not had any issues with mine other than the tiny key note side dot markers which are extremely difficult to see, even more so by being black in colour and featured within the Grey Pearl edging of the fretboard. It also took me quite some time too, to get used to the size of the Trem/arm, and like you it also took me a while to find the best setting and to get used to the feel of it etc as it's much more in evidence than the Trem/Bar of a Strat, but once mastered it's brilliant. I am extremely pleased and impressed with the guitar, and I agree with you, that on some Shadows numbers, the sound I get is spot on. The key thing for me is the total lack of a thin/treble/tinny sounding 1st E string when playing above 12th fret which I find present with both my two Custom Shop strats, each of which cost well over twice the price of the Apache. I also find the build quality and the finish of the Apache to be 1st class and far superior to the build quality of my C.S. Strats. A really good instrument which is an absolute joy to use and play.
Best Regards
Keith.
MagicOurMorris

Full Real Name: Keith Sayles

Postby Bojan » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:19 pm

I have the white Apache with maple fingerboard. I also changed to heavier strings (11-49) and it plays and sounds great. The workmanship is first class down to the smallest detail . . . I have absolutely no negative comments about this guitar. I cannot compare it to other Burns guitars because I have not had any until now, but I am totally delighted with my Apache.
Last edited by Bojan on Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bojan

Full Real Name: Bojan Drndic

Postby noelford » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:32 am

I too changed to 11s (Elixir), and it plays beautifully.
noelford

Postby Fiesta Red Burns » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:33 pm

:?: for Bojan when you changed to the heavier strings did you have to adjust the truss rod .
Thanks for that info Bojn.
Last edited by Fiesta Red Burns on Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fiesta Red Burns

Postby Bojan » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:00 pm

No, not at all Godfrey . . . I just lowered the bridge saddles slightly and it plays like a dream.
Bojan

Postby asimmd » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:48 am

Hi All

It's nice to read how pleased you all are with the Burns.

I bought a Burns Marvin Signature when they first came out,but
I had so many problems with it,I sent it back.

I would love to get an Apache,but my previous experience has all but
put me off even thinking about one.

The problem I had was that every time I used the trem,the arm would come off the
shaft and needed I had to stop playing to tighten the screw up.

As you can imagine,this was very annoying.

Has anyone had any similar problems?

Alan
asimmd

Full Real Name: Alan Sim

Postby Bojan » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:15 pm

I can understand that being a problem Alan, but once you figure out the tremolo system and which nuts and bolts to tighten, it can be set up to work like a charm! In the beginning my trem arm became loose and wobbly, and when I tightened it it squeaked a lot, which was very iritatating, but then I finally set it up properly and now it's good and tight with full control and without any wobbliness yet has free and very supple horizontal movement. It's too bad you sold such a good guitar because of the trem system, because it's a great trem system.
Bojan

Next

Return to Burns