Vibra Artist restoration

For anything specifically about Burns guitars

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Vibra Artist restoration

Postby monkeybeats » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:59 pm

Hi

I'm currently bringing a Burns Vibra Artist back to life and was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with locating or re-creating the elevated plastic around the 3 way switch? I'm planning to cut my own new scratch plate but am not sure how I'd got about solving that part. Have you guys solved this issue before or simply gone for a switch that sits flush against the scratch plate?

Thanks for your help

Jim
monkeybeats

Re: Vibra Artist restoration

Postby RayL » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:12 am

Same problem here. I've been having thoughts about restoring my much modified Artist back to original condition (see my avatar). I have the old raised switch surround but it is cracked and has a piece missing.

If only I had the time, three ideas come to mind
1) Make a suitable mould and cast a new one using that two-pack resin material that sets hard when mixed.

2. Use the material (sold in art / hobby shops) that is like Plasticine and can be moulded but which sets hard when baked gently.

3. Find someone with one of those '3D printers' . They are like an injet printer but the jet emits a plastic spray that sets hard. The object to be made is designed on a computer and the computer then drives the 3D printer which bulids up the object layer by layer.

Ray
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Postby monkeybeats » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:12 am

I'm off to the hardware store today to find some plastic for the pickguard - I'll look out for a product suitable for option 1 while I'm there. The switch I'll be using is a 3 way strat style switch and I was planning on just sticking on an ivory coloured tele style tip so that it's more in keeping with the original.
monkeybeats

Postby mgeek » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:08 pm

If this was mine, I'd make the scratchplate out of 3mm black acrylic, and for the raised bit, cut a small section of the same material, and do a double layer for that section. If you do the shaping/smoothing properly it should be pretty hard to see that it's glued on and not moulded.
mgeek

Full Real Name: will thompson

Postby HAIRY » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:05 am

This thread, and in particular Ray's contribution, touches an interesting area: the value of originality.

I understand the worthy motivation of restoring a near original Burns guitar to its former glory by the repair or replacement of a component with the correct one.

However, I question the logic of restoration of a modified instrument if it will create a lesser guitar.

This is not to suggest a Burns Artist is not a fine instrument but like many of Jim's creations, they have some unique features that cryout for imaginative development that remain unexplored despite the continuation of the brand. Put it another way: Burns made some wonderful components as well as some interesting guitars. Now, Ray's avatar may not be to the purists' taste but it does seem to be a positive attempt to explore an aspect of this potential.

It would be interesting to know the pros and cons of Ray's avatar v Jim's Artist, and whether his plan would be to restore it to 'stock'.
HAIRY

Full Real Name: Harry Ellis

Postby monkeybeats » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:33 pm

I picked up my guitar completely gutted it was just the body and I want to restore it as close to the original as possible because I like the idea of owning a vintage instrument that is as close to the original thing as possible.

Therefore, I have picked up some 60s pick ups and a tremolo from the same model, however, switches, pots, wire and the bridge will all be new but in keeping with the original look and feel and I don't have a problem with that as the bridge at least sounds like it'll actually be an upgrade from the original.

If I had Ray's guitar though I wouldn't touch it - it looks like a great guitar with bags of history attached to it!
monkeybeats

Postby MartinT » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:31 pm

Hi, I am pleased to have just discovered this site as I am currently trying to restore an OB Vibra Artist . The guitar has a floating bridge but the previous owner (pre1970) has removed the tremelo and the three toggle switches.
Has anyone any idea where I might find spares / replacements?
Cheers
MartinT
Attachments
IMG_7503.jpg
(761.69 KiB) Downloaded 14068 times
MartinT

Postby nidxs25 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:11 am

Hi Martin, that isn`t a vibra artist, it is a vibra artist deluxe, a very different guitar. I have one a bit older before the roller bridge was fitted.My brother used to have one the same as yours. There were only a small number ever made,about six I think.
nidxs25

Postby MartinT » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:41 pm

Thanks for the prompt reply, that's really interesting. However I guess that it does mean that finding authentic spares may not be easy.
MartinT

Postby ErikMAMS » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:27 am

Hi Martin
Very nice and interesting project ahead of you - but not without challenges, depending on how original/authentic you want it to :)

I'm not one of the hard core Burns experts round here, but I would have expected to see a Mk 9 vibrato on this. Present unit is probably a replacement (for some strange reason, as the fitted unit doesn't look to be an obvious upgrade, and not a type I've ever seen before).

Finding an original and complete Mk9 vibrato is difficult, but they do come up from time to time (often marked Gretsch on the arm though - as the Burns Mk9 design were used on Gretsch Firebirds, Silver- and Duo Jets etc). The last Mk9 I saw on ebay went for £95 about 2 weeks ago (which was probably a lucky buy, I think they often go higher), and it was an alu/chrome version and didn't include the string bar to hold down the string in a proper angle for the bridge. I have some pictures if you don't know what a Mk 9 plus the string retainer looks like.

I believe all hardware on Vibra Artiste Deluxe’s were originally gold plated, but I’m not sure. Is this the case with yours (hard to tell from the pic)?

Another question is if there's any routing done to the body to accomodate the replacement vibrato - which I would imagine given the type of the unit - the routing could be too large to be covered by the base of a Mk 9 unit, and also the colour of the body could be different under the present vibrato plate due to fading. I would check that first thing.

As for the pickup switching/wiring I don't know how it was originally - but I would guess on/off for each pickup. The original switches was probably very heavy duty and are impossible to find I would guess - but usable replacements should be available I think.

Further restoration issues are body finish, broken/missing piece of scratchplate, maybe (?) unoriginal cover on headstock etc. Would be interesting to know how and to what level you plan to restore it to it’s former glory?

Erik
ErikMAMS

Next

Return to Burns